Kanabo Masatsugu Katana

nihonto1001

Yep, it fits. It is a contrived Daisho using the saya from both the Katana and Wakizashi. The saya were lacquered together in Japan. The tsuba and fuchi kashira are papered as Daisho fittings. It has matching tiger menuki. The handles were wrapped using the original tsuka.

As far as the Wak, that's also Kanabo Masatsugu. It is probably a later Masatsugu and of lower quality. But, it does have a NTHK paper.

Bob Benson polished the Katana and did a very nice job. The Wak has a lower quality polish and is not as photogenic.

As a whole, it makes an excellent display in my home, while I lock down the real nice stuff.

Thanks for responding,

Jon

I owned a Kanabo Masatsugu wakizashi myself. Wow, that hamon was amazing. It was my favourite piece but then I discovered a hagire. I returned it to the seller in Japan and when I asked the dealer what would become of it, he promptly informed me that he had paid Japanese Customs 10000Y to destroy the sword. :cry:

Sorry for the wait, I am finishing up a trip.

Remzy:

Here you go...IMG_6254.jpg

IMG_6255.jpg I'll try to get a few better shots of the fuchi kashira.

James:

I have had it happen too. Hang in there. I am happy you worked it out, from the sound of things. Sword collecting is a labor of love. Sometimes more labor than love:)

Gabriel:

I am not sure how that works in Japan. I am not sure why anyone would have to pay to have it destroyed.

Jon

Here is some more info from the smith database above. Awesome resource, by the way.

Masatsugu

Koto, Yamato no kuni (Tenmon:1532)

Juyo, Jo saku

MAS1654 TTp595, ¥3M

nanto ju kanabo hyoejo masatsugu

nanto ju fujiwara ason kanabo hyoejo masatsugu

Here are those other pics of the handles:

IMG_6293.jpg

IMG_6292.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

IMG_6289.jpg

Enjoy,

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

I´m a little confuse about Masatsugus.

Please correct me if I´m wrong.

Most of the Masatsugu blades I have seen were sign 南都住金房兵衛尉政次 Nanto ju Kanabo Hyoeinojo Masatsugu, including this one.

These “Imperial guards” who used this signature had two generations?

One in TENMON 1532-1555 and one in KOJI 1555-1586.

There is also 3. generation Masatsugu who signed Nanto Kanabo Hyoeinojo Masatsugu 南都金房兵衛尉政次, who worked in EIROKU 1558-1592 and he was Wazamono?

Have anyone seen blades with this signature?

As I said I´m a little confuse about these Masatsugus, because there is so much discrepancy information…

Lammi, thanks for your interest. The guy to ask about the Kanabo school is Gordon Robson. His research has done much to elevate the general opinion of this group of smiths.

When I got a chance to speak with Gordon, he said that the Kanabo School operated right into the early shinto period. So, there are probably more than 3 generations of smiths that signed Masatsugu (among others). I did not know this before.

Here is an interesting site that will give you a better understanding. http://www.japaneseswordcollector.com/

If I get a table at the FLTK, this set will be available for viewing.

Jon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..