Help on mei for high-quality late Edo/Meiji era tsubas?

Hi,

I found some what looks like Meiji/Late Edo era tsubas. They have some slight wear and these are the best photos I could get of them so any help would be greatly appreciated:

Tsuba #1: 
Front: post-3124-0-97341800-1588967721_thumb.png
Ura: post-3124-0-74907800-1588967693_thumb.jpeg

Tsuba #2: 
Ura: post-3124-0-73226700-1588967707_thumb.jpeg

Tsuba #3: 
Ura: post-3124-0-93875800-1588967800_thumb.jpeg

Hello,

n° 2 is signed Iwamoto Ryokan 岩本良寛

last one 鈴木容光  Suzuki Katamitsu

Thank you for the fast reply! 

#2 I was wondering if it was from Iwamoto school. The front has a lobster and puffer fish on it. But it seems a little too "Iwamoto" school, and the mei and craft isn't as crisp as some of Iwamoto Ryokan's other works. I have seen his mei signed without the Kao before on tsubas before. May be suspect, not sure at the moment. Too difficult to tell from these photos. 

#3 Never heard of Suzuki Katamitsu but thank you!

#1 I'm really curios about this one, in my mind it seems to be very well carved. Here's a slightly better photo of the omote side mei:

post-3124-0-94472400-1588989944_thumb.png

Hi,

search Nakagawa Issho (中川一匠).

Oh thank you!

Both Nakagawa Issho and Iwamoto Ryokan are semi-big names. I'm somewhat skeptical. I've never seen a Nakagawa Issho tsuba signed with a seal inlay before and this mei does look very different from the ones I've seen. Primarily it's missing the "中". I do think he sometimes signs on the omote side though. 

On the front its signed

應需 一匠 謹識筆

On the back... is it possible to get a better picture?

~音無川~

Thanks!

So I did some further investigation, the front mei is weird. Why?

Because it has the Issho(一匠) of Nakagawa Issho, but the Oju(應需) of a different Issho, another student of Ichijo: 

post-3124-0-22079900-1589015187_thumb.png

Sorry, this is the best photo of the ura side I have. Does 音無川 mean like Otonashi River?

The Issho of the picture from the book is a different "shō" (and therefore a different person)

一匠

應需 = Ōju means "made to order", "special order, etc... Its a phrase that indicates the tsuba was made at the request of someone. 

謹識筆 = 謹んで、しるす (ひつ) Made and inscribed with care (?). 

on the reverse

音無川 = Otonashi river. This is a river close to where Isshō lived. It appears on other tsuba made by him. 

Thanks Steve! Very informative. I’ve seen Oju on a few tsuba and now it makes so much sense it means Made to Order!

Oh I never knew Nakagawa Issho lived near Otonashi River. This tsuba is quite interesting. Btw, have you ever seen that gold seal on any Nakagawa Issho Tosogu before?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..