crane season opened

Bungo

Oh neat, i like the right one alot, any idea who might have made it (school) and if they are from the same? doubt it since one shows paterns and the other looks quite smooth. 8)

edit : hum btw Milt, do you have your geese hunting license ?! hum i mean cranes! :glee:

Isn't those flowing grain interesting ?

If you look closely, at the bottom the grains continue....... I have seen one with similar crane design in one of those Haynes catalogs, just have to dig further.

The left smoothie........ not so much, looks like a cookie cut out.

Milt

Concerning grains

here is a nice one from my collection. It depicts SANSUI 山水 with what could be the sun or moon rising over the mountain 山. It has lots of folds that are visible in the mimi and inside the hitsuana. It was made by a sword smith called Shinryo 真了 a student of Shinkai 井上真改 and from Fujishiro

SHINRYÔ DOI SHODAI [ENPÔ 1688 SETTSU] SHINTÔ CHÛJÔSAKU

He is called Doi Sakuzaemon Masashige, he came to Hanyô (Osaka) in Enpô Hachinen (1695) and became a pupil of Shinkai. He returned to his kuni in Tenna Ninen (1682), and changed his name to Shinryô. His style is like that of Shinkai. (Wazamono)

Signature: DOI SHINRYÔ

Page 442

Plate I: DOI SHINRYÔ

SHINRYÔ DOI NIDAI [KYÔHÔ 1716 SETTSU] SHINTÔ CHÛSAKU

Even though there are a number of people nidai and after, works are rare. (Wazamono)

Signature: DOI SHINRYÔ

The only problem is the back is a mess and pitted with rust spots :cry:

post-15-14196752296512_thumb.jpg

Bungo wrote:

you mean the flowing grains in your tsuba is a deliberate effort/effect to depict san sui ?

Yes, look at the top as there is a mountain and a heavenly body rising above it. You might not be able to see it clearly though as it is quite soft in the picture but it is there. The course grains at the bottom give a sense of perspective to it, as if the water is flowing towards you

Bungo wrote:

you mean the flowing grains in your tsuba is a deliberate effort/effect to depict san sui ?

Yes, look at the top as there is a mountain and a heavenly body rising above it. You might not be able to see it clearly though as it is quite soft in the picture but it is there. The course grains at the bottom give a sense of perspective to it, as if the water is flowing towards you

umm, I do see what you are describing but I have doubt that it is deliberate.

Wait till Der Despot of the Northern Court see this message....... I think he'll say nothing unless we claim to see Mother Teresa. :glee:

milt

Hello,

I'm new to the forum but saw this and thought I would throw in a comment and a picture.

Snipe looks right but also maybe a Kiwi?

Learning about tsuba a little every day, this looks like the same artisan, maybe mid 1500's like Muromachi or Momoyama? Kachushi or Myochin school?

Thought I would also add a photo of a tsuba belonging to a sword I haven't had time to research yet. Beautiful!

Regards

Doug

post-1030-1419675229996_thumb.jpg

Henry,

Beautiful tsuba, showing some lovely work. I don't know if it was just a consequence of the way it was made, brought out deliberately to incorporate the theme, or just appeared through wear, but it is still lovely to see. I'm open to any opinions on that aspect.

Milt, I think you are hinting that the one tsuba looks modern and "cookie cutter" mass produced. That is my take on it anyways, and my opinion too.

The other one I would love to hear more about. No..they don't belong together and aren't a pair, but one seems to make up for the other.

Brian

Concerning my above tsuba:

I suppose come to think of it (which I hadn't so much) for a smith to deliberately forge what is on the plate would be nothing less than amazing and his control of the metal would be something else. The tsuba has been been folded to include a grain surface but the stylized pattern....?

How could such a surface effect be applied? Through a careful acid wash? Or shear luck?

Concerning my above tsuba:

I suppose come to think of it (which I hadn't so much) for a smith to deliberately forge what is on the plate would be nothing less that amazing and his control of the metal would be something else. The tsuba has been been folded to include a grain surface but the stylized pattern....?

How could such a surface effect be applied? Through a careful acid wash? Or shear luck?

Henry, the late Edo Myochin tsuba I bought last night is covered with similar surface swirls to yours.

PS Forgive the thread-napping, Milt. I saw your cranes/snipes/ibises? and admired them! :D The Japanese must have loved such outlines.

" I think you are hinting that the one tsuba looks modern and "cookie cutter" mass produced. That is my take on it anyways, and my opinion too. "

Brian, your opinion is wrong.

The " cookie cut out " is my way to say it's not interesting.

The design is ok but one tends to get tired of it very fast as there's not much to see beyond that....plain flat, polished iron ground.

The rust pattern of the seppa dai area indicates it was actually used by some " low end samurai " who just revived an ancient thread somewhere else :rotfl: :rotfl:

milt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..