Help with Sayagaki translation please?

I picked this katana up over on Gunbroker and just got it the other day. If anyone could help me out with translating the writing on the shirasaya, I would greatly appreciate it.

believe (?) this is a Shinto Kanbun period katana. The nagasa length is 26.5 inches / 67.31cm. Suriage or O-suriage, Mumei. There are 3 mekugiana in the nakago. The sori is pretty shallow, haven't tried to measure it. The polish is actually pretty nice, apart from a few scratches and scuffs. Quite sharp. There is a glop of white crud on the blade, under where the habaki rests. I suspect someone may have tried to glue the habaki while it was still on the blade, and it leaked through.

The habaki is wood unfotunately, and in pretty fragile shape. But it's still holding on. The old bamboo mekugi that was in it literally disintegrated when I removed it with the little brass hammer. But that's why I keep the chopsticks when I order Chinese...

It came in what looks like an older but-still-solid shirasaya with a lot of shiragaki on it. I was told by the seller that this roughly translates to : Daigaku Ryumun Buyoshi / Length 2 feet 2 inches 5 / Fine Grinded / Non-signed tang / One Hundred Gold  He told me the writing on the opposite side is the name and date of the sayagaki attribution, but he only said in was dated Showa22 (1947).

And if this is correct, is Daigaku Ryumun Buyoshi the name of the swordsmith? Has anyone heard of him? 

If you guys can confirm or deny this translation, and give me the name and date on the opposite side, with any thoughts or comments, good or bad, I'd appreaicte the honesty. 

Apologies in advance for my lack of photography skill

post-4406-0-65613400-1587066786_thumb.jpg

post-4406-0-39688300-1587066798_thumb.jpg

post-4406-0-39832100-1587066809_thumb.jpg

post-4406-0-36267400-1587066819_thumb.jpg

post-4406-0-62783000-1587066828_thumb.jpg

post-4406-0-34086100-1587066837_thumb.jpg

post-4406-0-28067600-1587066847_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ray & Peter. Wow, the sayagaki isn't even close. 

To be clear, the sword was represented by the seller in the listing, and in our emails, as most probably being a Kanbun Shinto era blade, Mumei, made circa 1650-1680. Which is what I still assume it is, unless you guys see something that makes you think otherwise? 

Here are the other bits. 

長貮尺貮寸五分磨上無銘也 - Length: 2 shaku, 2 sun, 5 bu. Suriage mumei

代金百枚 - 100 mai

明治二十二年己丑十二月磨研成番定記之 - 1889 December, polished (and appraised?) nb. I don't quite understand the last 4 kanji, but I think it means appraised. 

本阿弥長識 - Honami Chōshoku

Honami Chōshoku was a sword appraiser in the late 19th century. The writing and the sayagaki seem to be in exceptionally good shape for something that is presumably 130 years old. So I would be skeptical of the attribution and even of the sayagaki itself. If you bought it knowing the attribution was suspicious, you have probably done well depending on what you paid for it. It is a real, antique Japanese sword. And it looks to be in decent shape for what it is. We see fakes here almost daily, so already you are through that minefield. 

• Like 3

In the meantime, here are some photos from the sale that give a better view of the blade. There is only a few ware on the blade, seems to be in good shape. No hagiri or such. 

The seller is normally a milsurp firearms dealer, and the blade was sold on consignment from an owner who claims to have had it since the 1970's. No other info other than what was written on the shirasaya. The seller (and I) felt it was Kanbun Shinto based on the blade shape and narrow sori. Also, the nakago doesn't seem that old and worn. But that's just my impression. I could be way off. 

But if it turns out to be a koto, that's fine with me too. I do like the blade itself a lot. Has good balance and feel in the hand.

post-4406-0-87599500-1587077441_thumb.jpg

post-4406-0-89635700-1587077455_thumb.jpg

post-4406-0-61861300-1587077467_thumb.jpg

post-4406-0-23590700-1587077478_thumb.jpg

post-4406-0-84813200-1587077487_thumb.jpg

post-4406-0-62034400-1587077498_thumb.jpg

Thank you Steve! I bought it based on the photos of the blade, without knowing anything of the sayagaki. The seller eventually gave me that as a rough translation after the sale. 

I was confident it was a nihonto, and an older one. And the final auction price was more than reasonable for a Nihonto Katana. So regardless of if it's Koto, Shinto, or Shinshinto, I'm happy with it.

Just really want to pin down more of what era it's actually from, if not Kanbun. 

Also, should add that the shirasaya is actually much darker and shows a bit more wear when seen in real life. The photos seem to bleach it out. So it could be old. 

The sori is a bit too small for Kanbun, but could be later Shinto. It could also be o-suriage Koto, as Ray thinks, but it somehow doesn't feel that old.

Does the hamon run smoothly into the kissaki, Brad, or does it make an abrupt change? Can't be sure from the photos, although the first outside shot makes it look continuous.

• Like 1

I originally didn't think this looked old enough to be Kamakura. But after looking at the pics in the link Ray sent for Ryumun Nobuyoshi, the hamon and grain seems to VERY close in style and shape.

And as it's suriage, the original, "older" looking nakago would have been cut off, leaving the "newer" looking current one. And the overall shape doesn't seem too different from the nice cut down tachi Ray has listed in the For Sale section right now. 

And the shirasaya could be from 1889. Like I said, it photographs well, and looks a lot newer and lighter in color than it does in the hand. 

So, hmmm...any further thoughts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..