Unusual koto mei, very odd date, any suggestions?

caracus

Hi Guys,

I am a bit confused by this one and any help would be appreciated. The kanji on one side of the tang appear to be almost two diffenent styles of writing, almost like a dimei piece, but are just one consistant line of kanji, not two the I would think would be a dimei signature. On the other side, all there is are three characters that I believe read "a lucky day in August" What the heck is that, no era, nothing above it, and it doesn't look like there ever was. Any suggestions?

post-998-14196750439649_thumb.jpg

post-998-14196750445924_thumb.jpg

Hi

It's not too uncommon for the date to be given like this, just the day and not the year. I've seen it before.

The mei looks to be all by the same hand but better pictures will be necessary before my old eyes can make it out and read it.

Grey

The month Grey, not the day, i've already spoken about the significance of the monthes used in dating, but i can't regain my post. :cry:

Am I correct that it simply reads "a lucky day in August"? It just seems very odd to me as many of the dates that I have seen are August, I believe it has something to do with the "ideal" temperature for quenching the blades naturally occurring around that time. I really would think that an era would make a lot more sense as that would be a much truer indication of when the sword was made. If you were going to abbreviate a date, would it not make more logical to omit the August, as opposed to the year? I think that August would be assumed if abbreviated in this manner.

Hi,

Am I correct that it simply reads "a lucky day in August"? It just seems very odd to me as many of the dates that I have seen are August, I believe it has something to do with the "ideal" temperature for quenching the blades naturally occurring around that time. I really would think that an era would make a lot more sense as that would be a much truer indication of when the sword was made. If you were going to abbreviate a date, would it not make more logical to omit the August, as opposed to the year? I think that August would be assumed if abbreviated in this manner.

It is not august, it is the eighth month of the year.

About the months in the dating, i've regained my post.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..