Blacksmith Hammer

Ruben

Ruben,

I think the best idea would be to buy them in Japan (only small ones: https://www.fine-tools.com/blacksmithhammer.html, or https://www.tetsufuku.com/product/127), or ask one of the experts who live there, e.g. Paul Martin.

I make my own Japanese forging hammers and work with them. Some sellers in Germany have them at somewhat 'self-confident' prices.

You were asking for a 1.000 g hammer, but that is a bit too light if you are well trained, so you should look for 1.300 or 1.500 g, if you really want to forge. At least this is my experience.

Have fun!

• Like 2

Thank you Jean,

already found the links you suggested. FineTools had some in the past, but not anymore, and tetsufuku is too expensive I think.

I don´t know If it´s appropriate to ask Paul Martin, I will keep that in mind.

Unfortunately I´am not able to forge them by my self at the moment.

Also I´am not well trained, 1.000 g seems light wight yes.

Thank you for the advice, shure I can handle much more as I´am quite strong, but have to start somewere.

Best regards 

Ruben,

if you have a smith near you, he might well be able to forge one. It is not really difficult, and if you assist in the forging, you might learn something useful for you own "career"! 

While 'normal' industrial hammers are made from simple tool steel with about 0.45 % of carbon and heat-treated to about 54-55 HRC, genuine Japanese hammers tend to be somewhat harder. They are often made in a composite manner, that is, they have a fire-welded front end of high-carbon steel. These hammers often leave the forge in a raw condition and have to be 'shaped' to your way of forging. They can be a danger in the hands of a beginner because they might damage an anvil if you miss a blow!  

I don't know where you live and what your local sources for steel are, but a 'normal' 1045 steel would serve you well for such a hammer. It should not be difficult to find a fitting piece of scrap steel (e.g. a piece of a fat truck axle from the junk yard). If necessary, I could send you more informations on that subject.  

you can find American/English dog's head or saw tuner's hammers on Ebay most of the time.  the angle of the head to the handle tends to be acute though, whereas the Japanese hammers tend to be 90'.

Japanwoodworker.com sold blacksmith hammers for many years, though I don't see them in the catalog currently.  might want to give them a call and see if they're still stocked.

https://www.japanwoodworker.com/products/34oz-black-smith-hammer-toroku  (i prefer the 48 oz)

i have several different ones of different weights that i use depending on circumstances.

as mentioned, some make custom ones.  

Hi Gentlemen,

think I have found what I was looking for.

The thing is I wanted a hammer that has this elongated shape.

And I´am very much into antique tools, so came up with this solution, 1260 grams.

It is little more corroded that I normaly would accept, but 100% functional and seems some how "new old stock" :-)

Lets see, other antique hammers like a hot cut and so on are on it´s way as well.

post-1392-0-09080700-1542456719_thumb.jpgpost-1392-0-81057800-1542456877_thumb.jpgpost-1392-0-17666000-1542456957_thumb.jpg

Thank you all, Brian, Jean, Jean, Joe and Greg

and best regards

ruben

• Like 1

Hi Jean,

it is an english hammer I believe. I don´t have it now, almost shure it´s not readable.

If I have somthing to show I will, I can´t wait to start, but first I need an anvil too.

...a forge would be also good to have, need one were I can reach high temperatures as well.

In the meantime I will studie some alchemy to produce somthing similar like this, should be possible:

post-1392-0-84856100-1542473422_thumb.jpg

;-)

If not at least I tried.

Greetings

ruben

looks promising, but i wonder if the striking part of the hammer is a little small.  could be helpful for some applications, but not main forging tasks, depending on how big it actually is.

here is another interesting option:

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Blacksmith-Hammer-hammer-Forging/dp/B07GMWKZKB/

Joe,

yes the striking part is small that makes it difficult at first. These kind of hammers maybe are for sickle making.

I want to use it for beveling. For main forging tasks I have to try what works best, I don´t know yet. It´s not too difficult to find hammers for that task I believe.

In the past I used grandfathers old slage hammers and shoemakers hammer and a blowtorch to make small things. But it´s time to get serious about it after so long :-).

Greetings

post-1392-0-97694300-1542482946_thumb.jpgpost-1392-0-65273500-1542482964_thumb.jpgpost-1392-0-13132400-1542482993_thumb.jpgpost-1392-0-68258700-1542483050_thumb.jpg

Ruben,

so you are going the hard way with wootz? :) Then you might need more than a normal fire, you will also need a furnace for a crucible.

All the best!

Jean,

yes you put it right,... the hard way. But as hard as it is, it also has some benefits.

I dont have to bother much with folding and welding. I would love to do that but as single person without a powerhammer, thats realy difficult.

Drawing out the ingot is hard as well or even harder, but I can take the time and slowly, slowly get somewere and decarborise the ingot.

The furnace will be the gasforge with compressed air flow.

I will not built it by my self, it is crazy enough to melt steel that way. 

Greetings

ruben

You may not need one now, but in the event you ever need another Japanese style hammer (Doghead) contact Nathan Robertson in Minnesota: jackpineforge@gmail.com

Here is a link to his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/JackpineForge/

Nice guy, and he makes all types of hammer and blacksmithing tools.

His Japanese style doghead hammers are made from 4140.  I have two, a 1.75lb and a 3.5lb. 

post-10-0-40166300-1542485632_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice looking top tools and hammer. I would love an English ball pien like that one. It’s likely a riveting hammer if I recall correctly. Forging is just about my favorite activity of my entire life. Enjoy.

Looking forward to seeing some wootz. I have a few friends who make it and I love the dendritic patterns that form in it. I’ll set up a crucible myself when I move into my own home in the spring. ????????????

• Like 1

You may not need one now, but in the event you ever need another Japanese style hammer (Doghead) contact Nathan Robertson in Minnesota: jackpineforge@gmail.com

Here is a link to his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/JackpineForge/

Nice guy, and he makes all types of hammer and blacksmithing tools.

His Japanese style doghead hammers are made from 4140. I have two, a 1.75lb and a 3.5lb.

Nathan is another of the best hammer makers out there. His hammers are brilliant and he offers a hammer to meet anyone’s forging preference.

......I don't have to bother much with folding and welding. I would love to do that but as single person without a powerhammer, thats realy difficult.....

I don't know where you got that, but our European ancestors had no powerhammer for their 'Damascus' steel. It all depends on how big your workpiece is, and if you forge one blade at a time, fire-welding and folding is feasible. It is a complete misinformation that much power was needed. Have a look at the many Japanese sword smithing videos. There are still many who work without machines, and if you imagine how small your Damascus billet for a knife would be, you can get along without helpers.

I am 74 and make my own forge-welded Damascus without power-hammer. It is more a question of training and technique than of sheer power.

• Like 2

Nice looking top tools and hammer. I would love an English ball pien like that one. It’s likely a riveting hammer if I recall correctly. Forging is just about my favorite activity of my entire life. Enjoy.

Looking forward to seeing some wootz. I have a few friends who make it and I love the dendritic patterns that form in it. I’ll set up a crucible myself when I move into my own home in the spring.

Riveting, yes I could imagine that, thats why there is a ball pien maybe. It will take some time before I´am able to melt the first ingot.

Good luck, looking forward to see some wootz as well.

Greetings

ruben

I don't know where you got that, but our European ancestors had no powerhammer for their 'Damascus' steel. It all depends on how big your workpiece is, and if you forge one blade at a time, fire-welding and folding is feasible. It is a complete misinformation that much power was needed. Have a look at the many Japanese sword smithing videos. There are still many who work without machines, and if you imagine how small your Damascus billet for a knife would be, you can get along without helpers.

I am 74 and make my own forge-welded Damascus without power-hammer. It is more a question of training and technique than of sheer power.

Jean, they had but anyway. Blacksmith workshops were often located near creeks. I know it depends on the size :rotfl: .

I watched Japanese sword making videos for hours and hours.

These deshi are human powerhammers, 2 or 3 guys banging so precisely and with such force.

Also in India the smiths had helpers too, there wife´s. They were banging like crazy.

As I´am into swords, I will try to make some.

I take my hat off to you.

Greetings

ruben 

.....Also in India the smiths had helpers too, their wives. They were banging like crazy....

So you have nothing to do but to teach your wife!.... :glee: 

The main work is stretching out, not the welding or folding itself. It is just normal work, probably less than with your wootz. You need some physical endurance and patience. 

Wow great hammers.

Do you use the top fuller for drawing out as well?

You can but I typically don't.  I use it when making tomahawks.

I have made a few billets of random pattern, feather pattern Damascus.

For drawing out a billet I go to a friends who has a power hammer and hydraulic press.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..