Mei Inquiry On Kabuto

Nickupero

Hi Katchu enthusiasts, reaching out because I don't have much resources with regards to armorers mei's. 

I have a kabuto by what I think is Myochin Muneyasu... he was active mid Edo, correct? If its possible to get as much info about him and this piece it would be much appreciated. 

post-2223-0-96866800-1528222239_thumb.jpgpost-2223-0-37076200-1528222694_thumb.jpgpost-2223-0-59632600-1528222713_thumb.jpgpost-2223-0-89333100-1528222722_thumb.jpgpost-2223-0-16484800-1528222733_thumb.jpgpost-2223-0-01692000-1528222746_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you Steve, actually I didn't do the complete translation yet so again a big thank you for that.

Now that we have his complete mei it was a background of the smith that I was after since I lack literature with relation to katchu.

Looking forward to finding out more, thank you in advance for those who chime in.

Hi Nick,

Seve is right!

This smith dates back to the mid Edo period (approximately 1751-1764). He lived in Kôchi in Tosa province and was called "Ôe". It is said that he was a student of 27th generation "Munemasa".

Hope that helps a bit!

• Like 1

Sorry John, just contacted my hosting and the issue has been resolved. It had to do with a mix up with my old website being integrated. Should be working well now.

Thank you Uwe and Ian, it helps a lot. The proportions on this kabuto are spectacular and for those attending the Samurai Art Expo will have the opportunity to view it in hand. I wanted to know more about what I had before the gents over there tell me in person ;)

• Like 1

.... :)

The four sections formed by the "hagi-ita" remindes me of the "shiho jiro" type, despite the absence of shinodare. Likewise the large "tehen" seems to be a reminiscence to older helmets, from the Kamakura period for example...

I was told that this piece was more of a challenge task (somewhat Utsushi) for the smith, to make a much older piece from Nanbokucho period... and typically the smiths only had old books/drawings to go by so its Muneyasu's interpretation. Not sure how accurate that assumption is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..