ebay UK banning "samurai" swords

I recently tried to sell a penknife on ebay.co.uk and got an email from someone in Australia unable to bid. I put this to ebay and got the following reply:-

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay. I understand that you are concerned about

the message you received form your buyer.

I reviewed our database and found that you have listed a 'penknife'.

Please be rest assured that there is nothing wrong with the item listing

page.

I would like to inform you that there are laws in the UK prohibiting the

sale of knives to under-18s, so we're asking anyone buying a knife on

eBay.co.uk to put a valid credit card on file with us. This is for

verification only; and the buyer won't be charged.

Furthermore, if the item that the buyers are bidding on have the

keywords that resemble to a sharp blade, blade, sword, katana or a

bayonet; the system will ask them for verification. Buyers must have a

credit card on file with us in order to purchase such items on

eBay.co.uk. Hence, the bidder bidding on your item also must have been

asked by the system to place their credit card for verification.

If the buyer is still interested to buy your item, you can list it once

again and inform them about the eBay policy. They can then go ahead with

the purchase by providing credit card details for verification.

I hope I've explained everything clearly. If you need any more

information please get in touch.

Kind regards,

eBay Customer Support

Not that this helps much, as they're about to ban the sale of all knives except cutlery. Don't they realise that some cutlery can be sharp?

• 1 month later...

Can't even bid on a sword knot, if it's listed in "Collectibles > Knives, Swords & Blades > Swords".

Dear Buyer

To prevent the circumvention of the eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie Weapon and Knives policy, it is not possible for you to bid on, or buy this item. Thank you for your understanding.

eBay Trust & Safety

I guess that as UK citizens, they think we may accidentally strangle ourselves with these vicious sword knots!

The UK law is an ass, as is ebay policy!

Dick, The whole of this sorry and pathetic situation is the result of that guardian of justice, our rights and safety, the BBC's programme 'Watchdog'. They, shock, horror, managed to buy dangerous combat knives on eBay and hauled the UK eBay manager over the coals for their total irresponsibility in allowing them to fall into the hands of toddlers. Since you could buy equally, or even more, lethal knives in any kitchen shop in the UK it smacked of sensational journalism. A few trial bids on the international eBay site suggests that it is not the description keywords that matter but the category. It is the sword, knife, edged weapon categories that trigger the ban. No doubt the population of the UK will be forced into using only plastic scissors before long.

Ian Bottomley

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest nickn

importing swords into the uk seems to be getting easier

last friday i recieved a notice of seizure i rang customs and was told i needed to prove the age of the sword .so i emailed a photo of the mei along side the smiths entry in hawleys

today i recieved an email stating "although on examination there was no signature on the blade or handle ,i assume the meant tsuka as the nakago was signed and dated, the evidence provided was enough proof to assume the sword was made before 1954 ,it was in fact made in 1676, so your sword has been released for deilvery by royal mail"

anyone else had a similar experience?

Hi Nick,

Yes I had a sword which left Japan on a Thursday went into customs on Friday night and was at the delivery depot on Wednesday morning with the correct duty tariff. I think this was helped in that it was a wakazashi therefore below the 50cm legislation and had documentation from a proffessional dealer confirming its age. The ones that seem to be stopped for proof of age (happened to a friend again last week) are mainly those that are sent from private individuals as with many ebay purchases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..