Tokyo Thrift Shop Find Tsuba

Larson

I found this beauty when I was out and about in Tokyo last weekend. I would have passed had the tsuba not been signed...but I'm a sucker and I have a wakizashi that this will complement nicely. My question is anyone familiar with the Mei? Can anyone provide me with a translation? Next is to find a matching fuchi and kashira....post-2791-0-62718300-1463553649_thumb.jpegpost-2791-0-86373000-1463553718_thumb.jpeg

It was advertised as edo period. Were cast iron tsuba made in Japan during this period? Being a novice, can you explain to me why you would think it is fake or a copy? Thanks in advance. If it does turn out to be fake I've got a long train ride back to Shibuya to have a talk with a store owner...

Larson,

as I read it was a thrift shop find. I think you cannot expect an expert information from there, and it might be difficult to start a discussion being a beginner yourself! As long as you did not pay more than 15.-- or so, it was a learning experience I think.

Iron TSUBA for actual use were never made by cast techniques, so age is irrelevant in this case. Copies like this one are usually quite new, say 10 to 30 years. If your TSUBA was made as a copy from an existing original, this latter one could have well been from the EDO period. This could mean you have a different design on the other side of the TSUBA.   

I paid 18000yen which equates to about $165. Needless to say I'm not happy with the purchase. That smarts...Having done lots of lurking through the forum, I thought I might be able to spot a obvious cast copy. The tooling marks and the defined chiseled signature is what made me jump on the purchase. There was some residual gilt on the tops of the waves that gave me hope, but I was seeing what I wanted to see. I'm now dubious of the other vendors in the area that carry sword parts from time to time. I'm going to see if I can snap it in half just to be sure nobody else can make the same mistake. Thanks to all for your knowledge!

Hang it on the wall to remind yourself to study first and go slow!

Folks in Japan generally know what something is and what something is worth - buy from reputable dealers, buy papered pieces until you truly know what you are looking for and what you are looking at...

-t

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..