Signature Inside A Matchlock Stock!

Viper6924

Lovely gun, Jan. Congratulations. Well, it is possible that there was a tradition of the Mei being recorded inside the stock in Sendai guns. (?) A good question for further study.

There is a 3-Monme gun in Yasukuni Jinja in Tokyo, with a note saying 'superior forging'. It is signed with a longer Mei, "Sendai Ju, Imano (rather than Konno) Chosaburo Fujiwara Nobuaki". He is number 7 in a line of Sendai Imano smiths, and numbers 3 and 4 are listed as signing in Tempo 9 and Tempo 3.

Lovely gun, Jan. Congratulations. Well, it is possible that there was a tradition of the Mei being recorded inside the stock in Sendai guns. (?) A good question for further study.

There is a 3-Monme gun in Yasukuni Jinja in Tokyo, with a note saying 'superior forging'. It is signed with a longer Mei, "Sendai Ju, Imano (rather than Konno) Chosaburo Fujiwara Nobuaki". He is number 7 in a line of Sendai Imano smiths, and numbers 3 and 4 are listed as signing in Tempo 9 and Tempo 3.

This might def be the same guy. To my knowledge the name Fujiwara was sometimes bestowed upon someone as a sign of recognition for superior skill or long service.

The Tempo-period seems spot on. When you get a chance to inspect a Sendai-tsutsu in hand, it does not take long to appreciate the quality and workmanship.

Jan

• Like 1

Jan,

the stock material looks like AKAGASHI (red oak), but to my non-expert eyes it doesn't seem to have almost 200 years of age. Of course it is only one photo which does not show everything!

Could that perhaps be a replica or do other firearms of that period (1830 - 1844) have that same perfect state of preservation?  

• Like 1

Thanks Piers for confirming my thoughts about the Fujiwara affair :)

Its red oak alright. And it's the original to the barrel. I have a matchlock pushing 400 years. When I opened up the gun woodshavings was still lodge inside and the wood is in fantastic condition. It probably depends how the gun been stored over the years. This gun is in overall very good condition, so someone cared for it.

I can post some pictures on the matchlock section later if you want.

Jan

• Like 1

Jan,

I would love to see good detailed photos of your 400 year old gun.  That's, say, ca1600 - 1620???  My 3 matchlocks ca 1800 all have signed stocks and the wood is in near pristine condition.

How about a new thread on your very old matchlock??

BaZZa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..