When did this guy work?

bone

Commercial paint stripper won't harm the metal or patina at all. I use Nitromors, the brown can. It's vile stuff but very good at removing paint and varnish.

The kata-kiri is pleasant enough to warrant a clean up I reckon. Once you've removed the gold paint neutralise the residue with turpentine. Then gentle scrub the iron patina with washing up liquid and a toothbrush, not your own one. ;) Rinse well in warm water, heat with a hair dryer or hot air gun until too hot to hold with bare hands and then, while the metal is still very hot, wax lightly with a good microcrystalline wax. I use Renaissance wax.

Commercial paint stripper won't harm the metal or patina at all. I use Nitromors, the brown can. It's vile stuff but very good at removing paint and varnish.

The kata-kiri is pleasant enough to warrant a clean up I reckon. Once you've removed the gold paint neutralise the residue with turpentine. Then gentle scrub the iron patina with washing up liquid and a toothbrush, not your own one. ;) Rinse well in warm water, heat with a hair dryer or hot air gun until too hot to hold with bare hands and then, while the metal is still very hot, wax lightly with a good microcrystalline wax. I use Renaissance wax.

Hi Ford,

Thanks for the helpful information that I will keep in mind. I have seen more of this gold paint placed on antique tsuba lately like the linked example.

Who is K Morichi? :dunno:

:freak:

Brian

Hi Brian,

Sorry about copying the typo in my first reply and not paying attention. I am thinking he means to say "K. Morita".

Dope smacks self. K. Morita of course. However the gold painted tsuba is not mine. It's red in color. They do look a lot alike though.

Guido...I see, this is what familiarity breeds :roll:

;)

Mr. Hallam.

I have, for years, respected and held your opinion in high regard. As I still do you know more about nihonto than I ever will and at my age could ever hope to. To read your suggestion that my familiarity has bred contempt is troubling indeed. I sincerely apologize to K. Morita san and to you as well as anyone else my comments may have hurt or annoyed.

Sincerely,

Steven Bone

Guido...I see, this is what familiarity breeds :roll:

;)

It's your own fault. Until you become a naturalized Japanese, don't expect any respect. And even then you'll lack the proper DNA.

Dear Spaghetti Monster, don't make me going down this road again ... :evil:

Also... what the hells is a spaghetti monster?

Are you telling me you haven't been Touched by His Noodly Appendage?

*cough* My counselor said not to talk about him. Especially the part where he's covered with meatballs and sauce....

Anyone who knows Ford will tell you that while he is supremely talented in his art, he is even more talented when it comes to dry humour. :)

When he is really intending to make a serious point, or reprimant someone...you will know it. :lol:

As for Guido....he's someone you really want to have a drink with and spend some time chatting to. Like many members here. But different. So very, very different.

Brian

Loneliness-Quotes-23.jpg

As for Guido....he's someone you really want to have a drink with and spend some time chatting to. Like many members here. But different. So very, very different.

Hi Everyone,

The diabolical thing is Facebook keeps asking me "Are you friends with Guido Schiller?". :roll: This makes me wonder if Facebook has a "friends" feature do they have a "nemesis" feature as well. :badgrin:

P.S. Back to the topic at hand Steve any better photos of your tsuba?.

Sorry but the only way I can really show you is for you to go here http://s43.photobucket.com/user/boneami/library/Sa

It's mostly pics of one of my Katana's but that Tsuba is there as well. And I already know it's not THE Sa that made that katana probably gimei. Though it is covered with utsuri. Gotta get that thing to shinsa one of these days. Which brings me to a question. Every time someone who doesn't know swords ask to see it they almost never remove it completely from it's saya. The favorite of the people I've shown it to told me had many Japanese swords and mine was fake. Japanese swords were made of damascus steel and folded a thousand times. I didn't bother though my knee slapping laughter might have given me away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..