Morikami Museum and Gardens South Florida Samurai Exhibit

For anyone who will be in South Florida this Summer the Morikami Museum and Gardens in Delray (next to Boca Raton) will have an exhibit on 'Samurai Culture' running from June 3rd through August 31st. Here is a link to the site/information: http://www.morikami.org/exhibits/in-the ... eGalleries

The exhibit will contain swords, fittings, armor and samurai related items from collections around Florida. I had the honor of being requested to participate and will have several examples of tosogu from my collection on display. I hope everyone visiting will enjoy the exhibit.

I just returned from setting up the nihon-to section of this exhibit. Here is a list of the swords which will be on display.

Display unit 1. KOTO - Early Kamakura

• ubu signed Hoju tachi - NTHK

• Bitchu Ko-Aoe kodachi - Tokubetsu Hozon

Display unit 2. KOTO - Kamakura

• Ko-Enju tachi - Juyo Token

• Koshirae for Enju

Display unit 3. KOTO - Late Kamakura/Early Nambokucho

• Etchu Norishige daito - Juyo Token / Honami kinzoganmei

• Shizu Saburo Kaneuji daito - Juyo Token / Honami kinzoganmei

Display unit 4. KOTO - Nambokucho

• Osafune Masamitsu naginatanaoshi - Juyo Token

• Nobukuni naginatanaoshi - Tokubetsu Hozon

• Sa Hiroyuki daito - Honami kinzoganmei

• Nakajima Rai daito - Juyo Token

Display unit 5. SHINTO

• Musashi (no) Daijo Korekazu katana - Tokubetsu Hozon

• Omi (no) Daijo Tadahiro wakizashi (sandai dai-mei) - Tokubetsu Hozon

Display unit 6. SHINSHINTO

• Suishinshi Masahide daito - NTHK Yushu Saku

As Pete and Jon said there will also be a wonderful group of tosogu on display. I hope that everyone who is able to attend will enjoy the exhibition this summer...

- Ray

I can see visiting this exhibit would bet a great chance to see some of Pete's collection as he doesn't own or will get a digital camera anytime soon. I wonder if the museum will be producing a catalogue of the exhibit. The Yankee blood in me can't imagine me visiting south Florida in the Summer. I can imagine the airplane tickets are cheap. :lol:

Unfortunately , I was there yesterday morning and although the armor was viewable, the blades and fittings were not. It was too bad because I like Morikami (my mother-in -law has been a volunteer there for years). but I had to fly out yesterday afternoon so I guess I am not going to get to see it :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..