Strange Signature spot

Mantis dude

Hi all,

So I saw this kashira recently and was surprised to find it signed on the inside. There was no fuchi. So after many attempts to find secondary readings for the signature, I finally found it- Shosui. Now this name is important because it just so happens to be the name of the founder of the Hamano school. This might explain why the signature was engraved into the kashira perhaps the owner wanted to retain who made it or perhaps the maker actually inscribed it himself. So the next step of course was to evaluate the actual signature itself and see if it was possible that is was made by this very famous maker. After viewing and comparing the signature I have definitely concluded that I can't rule out anything and there is no matter how unlikely still a possibility that the signature is legitimate. My next step is to put it out to you guys and solicit opinions from all. Anyone seen a signed kashira? Is the signature legit? Thanks in advance for your help.

fk42_zps408dc56a.jpg

fk42multiplesigshots_zpsee84aafb.jpg

fk42multiplesigshotsA_zpsb91b1643.jpg

gimei da.

Gomen...

Extremely popular signature for gimei. I've intentionally owned a gimei Shozui f/k at one point because the workmanship was so good.

Considered having the copper knocked out and replaced, turning it simply into a mumei- but did not.

Also owned some NBTHK papered f/k and kozuka by him. Sold it all to one of the big dealers in Japan. Very distinct 3-D aesthetic.

I knew the work didn't fit the bill and you know with these big names there are ton of gimeis. But looking at the signature I couldn't outright write it off. Sometimes it is just so obvious. You always grasp for that lottery winner. Still, like you guys have said, some pieces can be nice on their own, ignoring the mei. I have a Oomori Teruhide gimei fuchi kashira. Doesn't fit the school or maker but is nice on its own, not juyo level but I can appreciate it for what it is. I am not issuing papers and can take a gimei! Thanks for posting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..