help with Mei

paulb

the date is obviously HATCHI GATSU for the last two characters...

The first two got me a bit puzzled....

the first kanji looks like HATSU but this pronounciation can change dependant on the second kanji that I am having trouble with too...

I guess the first two kanji of the date could be HAKKO 発 行 which means issued or published I think.... still not convinced though...

Cheers

I see three characters on the omote. Looks like Ko da suke. I think Moriyama-san is correct. The signature doesn't seem right and the nakago is not very skilled. The date also neglects to denote *which* mizunoto u era. Each sign occurs every sixty years but to the era needs to be known in conjunction with the sign to pinpoint the exact year.

I think that the chiseled name is 小太夫 as sencho-san identified. And maybe Ted also identified the same kanji. That can read “KO DAYOUâ€, “SHOU DAI FUâ€, or “Ko da sukeâ€. Each reading is not wrong. However, because it is a proper noun, I think "Kodayu" is the most appropriate reading. It is an archaic name, but is rather strange for a smith’s name.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..