Very unusual tsuka

JamesH

Hi everyone,

I am only a newb so please forgive my overenthusiasm for this piece.

I was really taken back by this tsuka, as I have not see tsukamaki stylised in metal before seeing this. I have seen other tsukas where tsukamaki was replaced by metal framing, but never like this :shock: To my untrained eyes this tsuka was just eye candy, though I kinda wish the fuchi kashira were a little nicer.

I am sure many of you have seen the auction for this tsuka, but I thought I might post the photos here, so they remain for reference after the auction page is deleted in 3 months time. If this is in breach of any forum rules, or the seller objects Admins please delete my post. I dont have any affiliation to the seller, and have never dealt with him, so please do not take this as any kind of recommendation.

I am also inclunding the sellers description less the 'selling'

"Wakizashi tsuka with tsukamaki simulated in iron. It is precisely carved to look like silk wrap. The fuchi kashira have a winter landscape scene carved in iron copper inlay and silver nunome depicting snow covered mountains. Copper rope rim finishes the border of the fuchi and kashira."

James

post-2097-14196902509984_thumb.jpg

post-2097-14196902511416_thumb.jpg

post-2097-14196902513161_thumb.jpg

post-2097-14196902514117_thumb.jpg

post-2097-1419690251564_thumb.jpg

post-2097-14196902517422_thumb.jpg

WWII NCO swords have Tsuka made of metal simulating Tsukaito and Same, but I, too, have never seen something like that. I wouldn't exactly consider it "eye candy", however - just because something is rare doesn't automatically make it desirable.

Wow. Never seen anything like that before.

I like it. Just imagine how much work was put into that so everything would fit - overall on tsuka, kashira, menuki...

Only thing that somewhat dampens it for me is that the knot is rather rear is rather large.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..