Hello

Bill Marsh

I have looked for an appropriate sub-forum for new members and guess this is as good a place as any to say "Hello."

I am a semi-retired real estate investor living in Atlanta Georgia USA with my wife Anne. We collect antique ethnographic artifacts, arms and weapons.

I began collecting Chinese and some Tibetan, moved into Indonesian. Primarily Javanese keris. Also Balinese, Sumatra, Borneo, Nias and Timor.

Also have a few pieces from Africa, India, Nagaland and Nepal.

I recently have been collecting Philippine weapons, mostly Moro, but some from Luzon, Visaya and Negritos.

My focus has always been on the blade. This is unquestionably the soul of the weapon. I am also very interested in the religious aspects of these weapons and artifacts.

Recently I attended the 2007 Atlanta Blade show where I met Paul Chen. We had a delightful conversation about antique Chinese swords.

I have been interested in martial arts for about 40 years and saw some interesting moves and cutting contests that caught my attention. These involved katanas which I have studied from afar.

Since my antiques would never be appropriate for cutting, I bought one of Chen's better katanas with a folded blade. Though a modern production sword, it still got me interested in Japanese blades.

I connected with Antonio Cejunior and Rich Stein on another forum, mentioning my burgeoning interest in Japanese swords. Rich sent me a link to his site and I was hooked!

I am amazed by the HUGE body of knowledge on Nihonto. My previous frustration with the areas I collect is that there is so little information to study, and often few accurate historical texts.

I do not believe the study of weapons can even approach any depth without a study of the conditions surrounding the weapons. While the metallurgy is important, certainly, the history, art, political structure, sociology, art and religion ALL influence the weapons.

I am excited about learning more about Nihonto. While I have a passing interest in modern blades made by top people, my real interest in in antiques. I am reading and networking and having a great time.

Hope to get to know more members on this board. If you are ever in Atlanta you would be welcome at our home. We live in what was once the "Cox Foundry and Machine Shop."

:welcome:

Hi Bill

Welcome aboard I was wondering when you'd make your first post, as per or conversations buckle up for the roller coaster ride of your life, Nihonto can take you on a thrilling ride. Feel free to contact me at anytime, there are many members who may speak much more eloquently on Nihonto than I but few more loyal to friends and service to new members and beginners. Enjoy.

Hope to get to know more members on this board.

Hi Bill. At least one is already known to you... :D

I'm Tsubame on EAAF and got an e-mail from you recently.

Rich addressed you to a very fine source of friendly knowledge from which

I've received and surely will receive again, a lot of benefit.

A warm welcome from me too.

:welcome:

Hi Bill

Welcome aboard I was wondering when you'd make your first post, as per or conversations buckle up for the roller coaster ride of your life, Nihonto can take you on a thrilling ride. Feel free to contact me at anytime, there are many members who may speak much more eloquently on Nihonto than I but few more loyal to friends and service to new members and beginners. Enjoy.

Hi Stephen,

I thank you for your support as I learn about this fascinating hobby/lifestyle. I look forward to deepening our friendship. AND beginning a few more!

You have been incredibly helpful with your email and phone conversations.

Aloha, Bill:

While we on this forum can perhaps help you with Nihonto, I'm sure that you - with your many years of collecting other weapons - can help most of us with ideas & techniques to prevent our being defrauded.

Welcome aboard.

I would be glad to help. Here is a picture of a Moro kris with ivory danagan pommel.

Danagan.jpg Danagan1.jpg

I also like photgraphy. Just wanted to post some test pictures. Hopefully I will be posting some nihonto, soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..