restoration project (noob)

guylikemike

cost is in the area of 1000 to upwards of 4K depending on togi. Being its a seki stamped blade you could go with someone like David Hoffhine, one of the better lesser trained polishers. Id not worry about replacing the wood saya in the gunto mounts as its just a showato blade.

so having done that youd not likly recover cost if you were to sell it.

Id just uchiko the blade once or twice a week and you'll see a great improvement in the polish over time. Why do you want it any sharper than it is?

Thankyou, I guess I'll have to train myself on how to Polish, being a first blade i just wanted to do as much possible with it,the sharpness isn't necessity but would like a good overall finish. The overall cost of polishing seems to far out weigh the overall value of the blade which is unfortunate and I really don't want to ruin the finish with some Noob mistake on the Polish! Any tips for a first timer on how to carefully restore the overall sword?

You are going to be bombarded for this last post haha... amateur polishing is extremely frowned upon in the community.. Basically, do not ever attempt to polish the sword or any sword. If one day when you are more knowledgeable on the topic and you decide you want to learn some basic polishing skills- dont tell anybody here. Haha. Also practice on junk blades or repros/ chinese stuff... As for your desire to restore in general.. completely normal for your first blade. Read the FAQ and you'll discover most noobs feel this way but that you should probably just sit on it..

P.s. this package is generally in good antique condition overall.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..