Difficult Tanegashima kinpun mei?

Hi all,

Saw a lovely tanegashima this past weekend (was supposed to be mine, but someone got there first :( ) and thought it unusual to have a kinpun passage in sosho on top.

I didn't have a chance to get any further pics or check for a mei under the barrel...I only got a quick shot or 2 and was wondering if anyone is able to translate some of this?

There are also 3 other characters above the gold one...either inlayed in silver, or something similar.

Any info much appreciated.

Brian

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Hi,

The inlay on a barrel is Waka-poem.

秋の野の(に)錦のことも、見ゆるかな色なき露は、そめじと思ふに。

(This Waka-poem is composing the wonderful scene of the hills and fields in autumn.)

Named "Akinishiki or Shukin" 秋錦(splendor of autumn),the silver inlay is a nickname of this gun in connection with the theme of this Waka-poem.

post-191-14196876678145_thumb.jpg

post-191-14196876680099_thumb.jpg

Dear Brian,

As I posted in a previous thread, ... the time to buy a desired item is when you first see it. It would appear to have been a very nice example ( from what little I see ). Obviously someone else thought so and didn't hesitate. I realize I have few facts to base my criticism on ... price, overall condition, missing or replaced parts, etc. Tanegashima do not pop up everyday particularly in South Africa !

... Ron Watson

Ron,

Like many things, it was in an old collection, and every year when I saw the owner I would ask if it is for sale. He said no, but if it ever does go up for sale I will have first option. But I guess I should have pestered a bit more, because this year when I enquired about it..he had traded it with another collector. :(

So it goes I guess. There are not many Japanese guns in SA collections.

Morita san,

As always, your help is amazing and hugely appreciated. :clap: :thanks:

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..