great site for those interested in gunto koshirae....

cabowen

http://cb1100f.b10.coreserver.jp/collection3a.html

examples of all sorts of koshirae,,,,

EDIT- After taking some time to explore this site, I have realized I have done it a disservice by simply referring to it as a great site for gunto koshirae....It is actually an amazing collection of information on the Japanese Imperial Army and Navy, loaded with photos, documents, and information.

• 1 year later...

Old site, but rare pictures. Thank you so much.

The broken blades broke my heart.

By the way, given what I know of weapon control law in Japan, I am always surprised to find on eBay gunto for sale, with arsenal blades, with sellers pretending to sell from Japan. Wouldn't these Swords be illegal in Japan? When I stayed in Japan, at various flea markets, I noticed genuine shin gunto, with arsenal blades, for sale openly.

Therefore, I am wondering whether the law has changed in Japan.

That would be a good idea, because gunto are of the same historic (I am, of course, not saying artistic) value as nihonto.

Yes, they are illegal. And no, the law hasn't changed.

Just proof that laws don't mean compliance.

When I was at a rural flea market in Japan, a seller had most of a (very) rusted type 99 machine gun under the table.

Just because you see it, doesn't mean it is allowed.

Brian

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..