Strange blade

Ken-Hawaii

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-3-400-Year-Old-Japanese-Ancestral-Samurai-Katana-Sword-Silver-Habaki-No-Fit-/251295927121?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item3a82678b51

The abovelisted blade on eBay has five (!!) mekugiana, but the nakago still looks almost ubu. Are blades with that many suriage very common?

Ken

Hi Ken,

I have seen several blades with more than 3 mekugi-ana...they where all shortened tachi...

in this case there is little curvation (sori) and the nakago is not ubu....so i wonder if this blade could be a shortened early kamakura or late kamakura blade??

nsealrob

Hamon on the last pic pointed towards Mino, I think. Furthermore, kasane on the mune-machi looks quite sound. This leads me to the assumption, that it is probably a ("lately") shortened shinto blade, like mentioned before.

Uwe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..