Aikuchi handle

kissakai

Hi

I have an aikuchi that has an interesting handle. I believe it is baleen. I have seen an article on baleen in a previous HMB post but I can't find it!

Does any one know if this type was used in a particular time zone? I'm hoping to find out some pointers for the aikuchi and again if any one has any idea about the Aikuchi I would be most grateful. I realise this is a tall order from the limited info.

I swapped a 'tired' wakizashi for the aikuchi at a militaria fair and was not given any information about it

It is being polished at the moment (will not be returned for a few weeks) and will be put into shira saya so I can’t supply any more photos/details at the moment

2m44s1y.jpg

28vyjqx.jpg

67kuqf.jpg

xp4obl.jpg

With thanks

Grev UK

To me the tsuka looks like deer hide coated in a black urushi and the kashira, fuchu look like horn. The style is similar to that of Muromachi period koshirae. I suspect it could be an Edo period revival tsuka in not so good condition. I am pretty sure that the menuki are mid to late Edo.

I hope this is of help.

Do you have a pic of the nakago. Sorry, but the blade looks all wrong to me. Stubby kissaki, cookie-cutter hamon. Shinogi-zukuri?

Anyways, it does look like it may be baleen, but I don't think that signifies anything in the way of school or era imho.

Brian

Hi Brian/Henry

I will post some more pictures when I get it back from the polisher but that will not be for for a few weeks so may be best to open a new post when I get it back

Initially I was mainly looking for info on the tsuka but that appears to give no real info

I've no idea how to tell baleen fron dear strips

Grev UK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..