Minotagawa Naval Swords

VIPER

A quick scan of Wallinga's book on Minatogawa show all (I think) with the mum on waves crest. There is one early sword known without the crest.

However the same smith's did make swords not for Minatogawa that are not marked. Also there was a group of swords by Kanefusa

made for a naval officer's group that have the crest on the blade, rather

than the nakago. See my section on Minatogawa at:

http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/gendai.htm

Rich S

If you have Dawson's reference book, it shows three Minatogawa swords, with all having the kikusui (mum on water) on the habaki. There is also one pictured that has the kikusui on the nakago as well as the habaki. There also happens to be a blade pictured with the kikusui on the blade, but not produced by a Minato. shrine smith.

If you do check out the book, it is nothing short of amazing to see that all three Minatogawa swords pictured in the book are in the same person's collection! Amazing! I have yet to find one for sale, and I have been looking for awhile now. Some folks have all the luck.

Tom

I have a katana by 23rd gen Kanefusa with the Kiku on waves on the blade. I will be putting it on ebay when i get motivated. If anyone is interested before i get around to it i would sell it for $1500

If it is inappropriate to post this here i apoligize, please move it to the sale section-- but i only mention it as Kanefusa was mentioned in this thread

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..