10 replies to this topic

#1 Leo Dugdale

Leo Dugdale

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:20 AM

I’m new to the forum. My father was a WWII vet, brought back three swords. Wondered about the translation on the hilt. The blade was stored in a bamboo scabbard.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9767044A-99DB-426A-86D1-D5118E9B07D1.jpeg
  • E10FF0BF-72AC-4A9B-86F4-1140E0957BF4.jpeg

#2 Ed

Ed

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:57 AM

Kanemasa

• Brian likes this

Ed M.
http://yakiba.com/   For questions, please DO NOT contact me via PM.   If you have a question, or interest in an item, please contact me via the website: Yakiba.com@gmail.com

My comments are based on my own personal opinions and experiences and are not intended to influence others nor evoke argument or reprisal. 和

#3 Jean

Jean

Daimyo

• Moderators
  • 7,899 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:23 PM

WWII blade, Seki stamp. Factory blade
Jean L.
Soshin Gimei

#4 Grey Doffin

Grey Doffin

Juyo

• Members
  • 3,257 posts
  • LocationNorthern Minnesota, USA

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:57 PM

Noshu no Ju Tsukako Kanemasa Kin Saku (Resident of Noshu, Tsukako Kanemasa Respectfully Made).

Grey

• Bruce Pennington likes this

#5 Leo Dugdale

Leo Dugdale

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:15 PM

Thank you for your response. Would this blade be hand forged? I take it that as a factory blade it would be a more common item. Could you recommend how to get it restored and would it be worth spending a few hundred to do so? It has more of a sentimental value to me. I take it that it was probably a fairly common sword issued by the military to a lower officer. I also have a NCO sword, metal handle, but it has quite a few nicks and I am assuming this one would be slightly more valuable.

#6 Ed

Ed

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:18 PM

Seki stamp above the signature = non-traditionally made.  Do you have a photo of the bamboo scabbard?

Ed M.
http://yakiba.com/   For questions, please DO NOT contact me via PM.   If you have a question, or interest in an item, please contact me via the website: Yakiba.com@gmail.com

My comments are based on my own personal opinions and experiences and are not intended to influence others nor evoke argument or reprisal. 和

#7 ROKUJURO

ROKUJURO

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,172 posts
  • LocationIn a deep valley

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:25 PM

Leo,

welcome to the forum!

As Jean and Ed pointed out already, your blade seems to be factory made with non-traditional methods. It is considered a militaria item, not NIHONTO. The sales value on todays market may be a quarter or a third of the cost of a traditional polish, so unless the money would not hurt you, there is not much sense in restoring. The problem is also that you could not even send it to Japan; it would be confiscated as a weapon. On the other hand, there are not many options for a competent restoration elsewhere. Please dön't bring it to the scissors grinder on the street!

My suggestion is to keep the blade as a memory item as is, prevent it from moisture and give it a regular very thin (!) oiling so that no oil gets into contact with the sheath. Read here on the forum about care and etquette of swords.  

Regards,

Jean C.

#8 Leo Dugdale

Leo Dugdale

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:34 PM

Picture of the scabbard96DD657F-9109-4D3F-B8B5-8DF2C8E26AF6.jpeg

#9 Grey Doffin

Grey Doffin

Juyo

• Members
  • 3,257 posts
  • LocationNorthern Minnesota, USA

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

The scabbard isn't bamboo (none ever were), rather wood that someone has painted red.  Here is a care & etiquette website for you to read:

http://www.nbthk-ab.org/Etiquette.htm

Grey

#10 SteveM

SteveM

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:25 AM

I think 濃州住栗木兼正勤作 Nōshū-jū Kuriki Kanemasa kinsaku.

The same smith, incidentally, that was on a sword posted to this site about a week ago, from the guy who was looking for a free advice, and then complained when he didn't like what he heard. 

• Jean and k morita like this
Steve M

#11 Leo Dugdale

Leo Dugdale

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 02 November 2018 - 03:21 AM

I thank you all so much for educating me about these swords. It is much appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: katana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq