help with Netsuke maker

Mark

I am trying to identify the maker of a netsuke. It is my understanding that it may be the Chinese or Japanese reading. The kanji seem different than i am used to. I would have guessed Hiromasa or kwan__ but i doubt i am right. Any help appreciated

Thanks!

post-102-14196823518197_thumb.jpg

Be careful though as there were (perhaps other, possibly the same person) carvers using the name Ryuchin who did not use either of those Kanji. eg 龍珍

In this case there is a nice example in the MCI, p.667, Entry no. 1709, with the same characters and the same seal as yours.

(N.Davey in NETSUKE does not record an example of a Ryuchin with your way of writing, BTW)

Mark, the MCI is the Meinertzhagen Card Index (of all the Netsuke in the British Museum?). It comes in two books and usually costs well over 1,000 USD if you can even find a copy. One of the two 'bibles' of Netsuke. You might want to spend some time over on the International Netsuke Society site too, where there is a ton of information and an active forum.

http://netsuke.websitetoolbox.com/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..