Patterns on Tsuba

Martin

Hi all,

I decided to rename this thread in order to get some opinions :D

I doubt that it will reach 14 pages like our best viewed thread, but who knows :lol:

I would be most satisfied with half of them :D

As far as I researched, this Tsuba has a design of Matsu or Pine needles.

Is it a common design on Fittings and does it have any special meaning (i.e. luck or transience)?

cheers,

Martin

post-50-14196736552619_thumb.jpg

post-50-1419673655572_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I cannot see a family crest ?, but I can see a single cherry blossom flower and pine needles. So I am thinking Spring and Autumn maybe. The seasons are popular as a theme on Kodogu. The guard could be Kyo, either Kyo Sukashi or Kyo Shoami, or maybe even Kodai Hoan as an outside guess.

Cheers

Rich

The symbology of Pine needles-

In Japanese art they often appear as one broken & one normal.

This is a symbol of loyalty and fidelity. Even broken - the broken needle- (even in death) you are not alone, but rather paired with another.

This is your pairing with your lord, your daimyo, your superior, your wife, and those underneath you.

Thats the idea.

Curran

Hi Curran and Rich,

thanks for your replies.

The symbology of pine needles sounds really nice.

As does the contrast between Spring and Autumn as Rich thinks.

I think there once was a Fukurin (rim cover) attached, because I can spot a small notch on the bottom side (1).

As I think this is a pre Edo piece - were the Fukurin added later on as an additional ornament or were they planned from beginning?

I am still wondering about the interconnections (2) highlighted in BLUE.

Could these be the broken needles (3)?

cheers,

Martin

post-50-14196737208594_thumb.jpg

Okay Milt,

sorry for the confusion but believe me - if I had to describe it with words, it would be much more terrible :D

So here is the Sakura and the broken needles like I see them.

Any ideas on the guess that there once was a Fukurin attached?

cheers,

Martin

post-50-14196737211645_thumb.jpg

I can see the same image as you imagine. But the blossom looks like Ume (梅: Japanese apricot) rather than Sakura (桜: cherry). As my sense, Ume blossoms match pine needles better than Sakura.

post-20-14196737216927_thumb.jpg

I can see the same image as you imagine. But the blossom looks like Ume (梅: Japanese apricot) rather than Sakura (桜: cherry). As my sense, Ume blossoms match pine needles better than Sakura.

Will agree, sakura blossoms are slightly different in shape, see image below. Ume blossoms are plum blossoms, if not mistaken, and often used in tosogu.

post-61-14196737217525_thumb.jpg

As my sense, Ume blossoms match pine needles better than Sakura

Interesting comment, Koichi san. Care to elaborate? How do they 'match better'? What is the photo of (and why is the pine needle there)?

thanks,

There is a word “Sho-Chiku-Bai (松竹梅)â€. It means pine (Matsu), bamboo (Take), and plum (Ume), and they are also called “Saikan no sanyu (歳寒三友 = three friends in winter)â€. Matsu and Take are always green even in winters. And Ume bloom blossoms in cold winter. They have been loved as symbols of integrity, and have been popular motif in paintings and other various arts. Also they are used as symbols of happy events.

BTW, the photo shows Japanese-style confectionery with Ume and Matsu motif.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..