Technicality

Depends - sometimes the seller isnt sure and would like to know - some care of they are making a big deal of the smith - some aren't.

I have sent messages to sellers and asked " Does this not say JKKKLK: and they reply - not sure it might - and you say - it does and they either ignore you or correct it :roll:

This comes up from time to time and has no definite answer...only personal taste.

I don't like to interfere, others don't mind...

IMHO no matter what you do, it will affect someone...so perhaps as a rule of thumb, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

hope this helps,

Geo.

Sometimes you get ones like this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =230617817

Contacted him politely and told him what he had. No answer, and no change in the auction description. So either he really believes the story he was told, or he knows.

Either way, don't want anyone else repeating the message to him...just wanted to point it out, as quite frankly it is darn funny. Luckily at that price, no-one will fall for it. But if it was around $1000...someone might have gotten badly hurt.

Brian

Some of you really think it is the ethical thing to do not to mention items when they are presented as such?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-WW11-Japenese-Arm ... 2c5cf03edc

Some militaria collector is going to buy the story, and not the swords. Anyone think these are anything more than recent Chinese fakes?

Wonder what the seller will say if someone tries to enlighten him?

Brian

Brian,I think you're being too kind in your efforts to 'enlighten' because these people know exactly what they have and what they're doing and this should be policed by ebay itself,however greed is the currency and it's obvious that they really don't give a toss about blatant con-jobs as long as they receive their fees.

I'm not sure that many genuine collectors would be taken in by most of this stuff as they're usually very careful about what they buy and collectors I've known and dealt with in the past seem to buy from sources that they know and trust.

I would like to see ebay tighten up on the entire question of how items are described and block the sale of Chinese and other fakes that are touted as being genuine but it's not going to happen because it's $$$$$$$$$ and morals have no equivalence as far as they are concerned.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..