Norinobu?

Lee Bray

Oh, sorry Lee, I didn't answer your question. You are right it can be read Norinobu...also masu, haru, toshi,, mochi...not sure which one you have found a connection with regarding your (kodzuka handle?) but masu is the one I mentioned above as an example.

Hope this clarifies.

Geo/

Good stuff, thanks guys.

Toryuken would have been his first name?

George - it's a mei of a kodzuka I'm thinking of buying from a dealer.

His information was - "Norinobu. Later became Noriyuki II."

So it purports to be the early mei of Hamano Noriyuki II (1771 - 1852)

All examples I can find of his mei are signed with his Noriyuki mei.

The work is very good but seems to be lacking the quality of his later pieces.

So I am unsure. :D

post-419-14196803331123_thumb.jpg

Lee san,

I had a look in (dare I say it) Wakayama, page 112 and found your Noriyuki I and Noriyuki II of the Hamada name. I have to say, IMHO, the yuki is very similar, but sufficiently different from masu so as not to confuse Noriyuki with the name on the next page 113 Hamada Norimasu. I think IMHO that your mei is the latter, Norimasu (but I feel it is an easy mistake to confuse the two). I haven't looked further, but I can't see Nobu here. Wakayama says that Norimasu is the youth name of nidai Noriyuki, so that explains the same birth/death years. Also, your dealer is technically correct to say it is by Noriyuki II....but prob? Nori masu, not Norinobu?

As I said, I know very little about fittings and you may want to check these details with "reliable" sources and the senior members before accepting anything I or Mr Wakayama may say.

Warm regards,

George.

:D

Good information, George, thanks.

From what I'm finding, Noriyuki II had a few earlier names; age 14 - Matsujiro, age 17 - Masakata, age 25 - Noriyuki.

Masakata...Norimasa...Noriyuki?

Edit - It seems Itoryuken was a name used by his teacher and his teacher's teacher on occasion.

Lee, I see that some of the info you mention on name usage, ages etc is noted in Wakayama under Noriyuki II...I also checked my old book Hara 1905 pages 134-136 and he lists the kanji you show as Norinobu also, rather than Norimasu. So, between these two sources of mine the sum total is roughly as you say. While I think it reads Norimasu/Noriyuki II, it does seem to be equally Norinobu/Noriyuki II. So, you just need to assess it to your satisfaction.

Regards,

George.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..