advice on the first blade

To thy mercy I, though undeserving, apply!

After spending a lot of time on books and going through a lot materials on sword, I decided to purchase my first blade. My purpose is mostly studying. I have been collecting for a while, but only recently decided to slightly expand my extremely narrow interests by learning about nihonto.

My personal preferences were always - simple, very austerely decorated swords. I definitely strongly prefer sturdy, capable blades that can be effectively used today (not that I have any knowledge how to use Japanese swords).

Now, I understand that it is somewhat tricky to ask for an opinion about something currently for sale, but I would greatly appreciate if you could help me to choose, between these two (or may be I am wrong in the selection alltogether and the first blade should be something else):

http://www.nihontoantiques.com/fss381.htm

http://www.nihontoantiques.com/fss373.htm

Pardon my arrogance, but I would like to explain my reasons for thinking about these two.

I like the second one:

Simple, yet elegant mounts. The blade appears very healthy and usable (however I am a tad surprised that the seller does not say anything about iai-do or tameshigiri, as he does with other swords - for example http://www.nihontoantiques.com/fss387.htm). I love the curvature, which I find very gracious and overall fitting my preferences .

Minus - no activity, rather simple construction, therefore not a lot of learning (?) and a lot of rumors (?) about bungo takeda being relatively low grade, very few people actually liking it (resale potential?).

I like the first one:Lots of activity, like the hada, like the curvature. Minus: fatal flaw? I hate the military mounts (per se).

Also, I am a huge guy, and short swords actually look a tad funny when I hold them.

As you can see - not of knowledge in me yet, mostly just emotions, feelings. Again, I apologize taking your time with a such personal request, but would greatly appreciate any advice, even if it is to return to reading books.

My opinion on the subject:

The 1st blade has a hagire and blades with hagire are very difficult to sell. Some day you'll want to sell whatever sword you buy now and this one will be a tough sell.

The 2nd is mumei with paper to an unpopular school; once again a tough sell. The blade and koshirae are quite nice and if you love it nothing wrong with buying it.

If I were you I'd try to get to one of the big sword shows in the US or Japan. You'll have great fun, learn lots if you make the effort, and your budget is healthy enough to allow you to buy something you can love.

Grey

If you open the big picture with the full blade, look at the left image (omote) where the edge almost touch the border of the picture, let's say half of the total length of the sword nakago included. Visible in ura as well, but shorter.

You can see it also in the "details" picture, on the first detail from the top, right in the middle of the picture. It's shorter there so I guess that detail is taken from the ura side of the blade.

The seller is honest in pointing it out.

May I ask another question - what's a typical situation with old mouts? I understand the lacquer offers some protection, but can one really use typical shinto mounts, or it is rather unsafe? Would one be better off, if one wishes to display the sword in mounts occasionally, to make new saya+, get old tsuba, menuki, whatever?

May I ask another question - what's a typical situation with old mouts? I understand the lacquer offers some protection, but can one really use typical shinto mounts, or it is rather unsafe? Would one be better off, if one wishes to display the sword in mounts occasionally, to make new saya+, get old tsuba, menuki, whatever?
I would suggest having a shirasaya for the blade and displaying the old original mounts along side.

Assuming you get a fully mounted sword the most common options you have are :

a) the sword comes in a polish you're happy with and in complete (healty enough) bukezukuri. You may wait till the next eventual polish. I made this mistake with a Naginata and a new polish was needed very shortly after.

b) you send the sword to a togishi for a new polish. You should have a Shirasaya made as well and never return the blade into the old mount to avoid any possible danger of scratching the new polish. A Tsunagi is also needed to maintain the original mount together if you decide to keep it.

c) you want a completely new polish and mount. Be prepared to break your wallet, even if you already have the Kodogu. Not common option.

Best resting place for a blade is Shirasaya.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..