Iron cast or forged

Gaijin

Hi Vitali,

can you check the bit of seki-gane at the top of the nakago-ana. If it is the same material as the rest of the tsuba then it's definitely a casting.

It's not the most obvious I've seen but the texture on some of the inner edges of the cut-outs look very much "as cast". There also appear to be a couple of places where the wax mould seam line is visible.

Me...SOFT? he he, I bloody hope not ;)

I notice you do have some quite decent pieces on your site and I respect your integrity in wanting to make sure that what you're offering is legitimate. :)

I thought this one was quite charming. I imagine it would look very good mounted on a blade.

regards,

Ford

Thank you very much.

I have checked huge size pictures and it is definitely iron cast, sekigane also appears to be of the same texture.

I am glad you liked that tsuba, yes i am trying to get a better items, but its getting harder to find something worth attention.

Thanks a bunch again, my dilemma is solved and i can sleep better : )))

I am also interested in this tsuba http://bushiart.com/includes/large.asp?img=TS1720.jpg&refnum=TS1720 on this website and have paid a down payment on it to allow Vitali to hold it for me. I was thinking it was likely made it the late Edo period maybe even cast but with some skill. Not sure if it is in fact cast but the piece is very reasonably priced even if it is a late Edo period piece. I find the design wonderful and just what I am looking for for my collection.

I have seen photographs of a Muromachi period Ko-Shoami tsuba using this ji-sukashi stylized design of a Buddhist Dharma wheel called a rinbo in Japanese. About a year or two ago one Ko-Shoami piece in the monthly Token Bijutsu magazine of the NBTHK in their Juyo Toshingu section at the beginning of the magazine. Needless to say a Juyo Tosogu is way out of my current collecting price range. Just wanted to chine in with my experience. Any additional information would be helpful and thank you. Below is the Juyo Tosogu Ko-Shoami piece I was talking about.

Yours truly,

Daivd S. (Soshin)

post-1126-14196783021552_thumb.jpg

Hi Henry,

Thank you, unfortunately NBTHK papers don't indicate the age, they just don't issue the papers if it is not Edo period.

Today i got some very nice items, will post some pictures tomorrow. Would love to hear everyone's opinion.

Cheers,

Vitali

Hello everyone,

Finally got moment to take pictures of my new additions,

i will probably keep all 3 for myself, just want to share the pictures.

1.Hiryutei Naotomo (with NBTHK eval. old papers)

2.Mumei daisho. Mino school

3.Nara Toshinaga

post-213-14196783655918_thumb.jpg

post-213-14196783658094_thumb.jpg

post-213-14196783659787_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..