Recommendations for koshirae

I understand this is not advised by a lot of collectors but I’d really like to have a koshirae made for my katana that is currently in Shirasaya. Fittings are currently being sourced by me (tsuba, Fuchi/kashira, and menuki) and would like everything else (Tsuka, habaki, seppa, Saya) traditionally made by trusted craftsman. 
Id like a subtle, classic design of good quality in Tensho or Higo. If Tensho I’ll have a horn Kashira made.
Ive looked in the “Commercial” section and see there are websites. I’m assuming all these websites are trusted and properly trained craftsmen? Are there other recommendations  that I should reach out to?

Thank you for your advice. 

Brian Tschernega would top the list of artisans I would turn to first for such a project. 

Recommend holding off on purchasing fittings before consulting with whomever you choose to go with. 

Lots of luck.

Regards

Desire is the cause of suffering.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Franco D said:

Brian Tschernega would top the list of artisans I would turn to first for such a project. 

Recommend holding off on purchasing fittings before consulting with whomever you choose to go with. 

Lots of luck.

Regards

Desire is the cause of suffering.

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you have contact info?

1 hour ago, Mark said:

what is your planned budget (not for parts you are buying but for the work)?  If we have an idea we can possibly give better advise

$2500 USD would be ideal. $3500 would be the top end I’m comfortable paying. 

On 5/24/2024 at 7:59 AM, Avidmark said:

I understand this is not advised by a lot of collectors but I’d really like to have a koshirae made for my katana that is currently in Shirasaya. Fittings are currently being sourced by me (tsuba, Fuchi/kashira, and menuki) and would like everything else (Tsuka, habaki, seppa, Saya) traditionally made by trusted craftsman. 
Id like a subtle, classic design of good quality in Tensho or Higo. If Tensho I’ll have a horn Kashira made.
Ive looked in the “Commercial” section and see there are websites. I’m assuming all these websites are trusted and properly trained craftsmen? Are there other recommendations  that I should reach out to?

Thank you for your advice. 

Are you looking to get your koshirae made in Japan ? Or whatever

6 hours ago, Seiko said:

Are you looking to get your koshirae made in Japan ? Or whatever

First choice would definitely be done in Japan. However I’ve heard importing a blade into Japan is a complicated process. So North America is probably the best option. 

Not understanding why anyone would advise against this or where you got that information.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It is yours, if you want a koshirae made, go for it.

Cost is the only reason I can think of why anyone would advise against having having a koshirae made.

Depending on the style and the level of quality, your budget may be insufficient. It is not cheap to do.

Keep in mind that there are additional costs incurred outside the koshirae itself. Shipping, insurance both ways, torokusho fee, broker fees, etc., etc.

Also, it is time consuming if you plan to have it done traditionally whether here or in Japan. Curing Urushi takes quite a while.

There is a process for importing a blade into Japan. I wouldn't call it complicated, but it is subject to the Japanese rules and takes a little time.

I am preparing a couple for shipment now, have one currently awaiting the next Shinsa.

Honestly think the budget is enough. We made koshirae cheaper than $2000 for some of our customers. It depends on what you exactly request obviously. But sending it to Japan would take 4 to 5 months maybe, for customs and making the koshirae.

On 5/31/2024 at 10:51 AM, Seiko said:

We made koshirae cheaper than $2000 for some of our customers.

Like I said, depending on the style and the level of quality, your budget may be insufficient.

I never said a koshirae could not be made for that if you want bare bones. But I do know that you can spend much, much more than that as well. Which is why I said depending on style and quality. Of course, I am referring to the entire finished koshirae, which includes fittings.  A decent quality tsuba can cost 1-2K alone.

But everyone has their own opinions on things.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ed said:

Like I said, depending on the style and the level of quality, your budget may be insufficient.

I never said a koshirae could not be made for that if you want bare bones. But I do know that you can spend much, much more than that as well. Which is why I said depending on style and quality. Of course, I am referring to the entire finished koshirae, which includes fittings.  A decent quality tsuba can cost 1-2K alone.

But everyone has their own opinions on things.

The budget I listed is not including tsuba, fuchi, and menuki as I’m trying to source my own. So I’m hoping that could help a bit. 

1 minute ago, Avidmark said:

The budget I listed is not including tsuba, Kashira, and menuki as I’m trying to source my own. So I’m hoping that could help a bit. 

This could save a couple thousand dollars or more depending upon the quality of the tosogu you choose.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Avidmark said:

The budget I listed is not including tsuba, fuchi, and menuki as I’m trying to source my own. So I’m hoping that could help a bit. 

You will likely be fine if your budget is excluding fittings.  Best of luck with your project. Ed

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 8:46 AM, Ed said:

Not understanding why anyone would advise against this or where you got that information.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It is yours, if you want a koshirae made, go for it.

Cost is the only reason I can think of why anyone would advise against having having a koshirae made.

As a beginner I have come across this advice too, but it seems like it's likely a cost/use of resources thing. From the NMB FAQ:

"Having koshirae (mounts) made for a sword is also a common desire of new collectors. While this will do no damage to the sword if done by a professional, it can put a serious dent in your wallet. When the time comes to sell (and it will, unless you plan to be buried with your sword) you will be lucky to recoup half of what you invest in koshirae. Other collectors want original "Samurai" koshirae, not something you put together. Rather than jumping in with polish and/or koshirae, you would be smart to take your time to study and learn. With experience you will be able to make informed decisions and spend your money more wisely. Also, your tastes will change. A few years from now you'll be glad you don't have way too much invested in something you want to sell. "

40 minutes ago, Natichu said:

As a beginner I have come across this advice too, but it seems like it's likely a cost/use of resources thing. From the NMB FAQ:

"Having koshirae (mounts) made for a sword is also a common desire of new collectors. While this will do no damage to the sword if done by a professional, it can put a serious dent in your wallet. When the time comes to sell (and it will, unless you plan to be buried with your sword) you will be lucky to recoup half of what you invest in koshirae. Other collectors want original "Samurai" koshirae, not something you put together. Rather than jumping in with polish and/or koshirae, you would be smart to take your time to study and learn. With experience you will be able to make informed decisions and spend your money more wisely. Also, your tastes will change. A few years from now you'll be glad you don't have way too much invested in something you want to sell. "

Im not really concerned about resale value with this project. A beautiful Koshirae is something I really enjoy looking at. Id probably be able to find an antique Koshirae at some point with enough time and searching, but If im going to admire a Koshirae on display in my home I don't want it to be for a sword I don't have. To me it just feels too incomplete. 

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2024 at 11:26 PM, Avidmark said:

Shinano Kami Fujiwara Nobuyoshi(the 2nd generation)

Not a great picture of the kissaki. 

Looks like a nice sword. Thanks for sharing. Ed

I don't have a particular interest in koshirae that are often bundled with swords in shirasaya. I feel like less than premium accessories are being bundled to pad the already high retail price. I inquired with one dealer if I can remove the koshirae and fittings for a lower price. In the end the discount was only 100k yen on a 2M yen sword, and probably adds more than that on the secondary market if decent quality.

Something I’ve been considering is in regards to the fittings I’m trying to source. I’d like some consistency in quality of the overall koshirae. However, i’m conflicted if the tsuba needs its nakago-ana altered/adjusted to fit the blade. I’d feel like altering an antique goes against the preservation of the hobby. In regards to this is it better to mount mid to lower end antique fittings to avoid messing with quality antiques worthy of preservation?

15 minutes ago, Avidmark said:

Something I’ve been considering is in regards to the fittings I’m trying to source. I’d like some consistency in quality of the overall koshirae. However, i’m conflicted if the tsuba needs its nakago-ana altered/adjusted to fit the blade. I’d feel like altering an antique goes against the preservation of the hobby. In regards to this is it better to mount mid to lower end antique fittings to avoid messing with quality antiques worthy of preservation?

I think if you have a trained and professional crafstman do the work, then altering a nakago-ana is OK...

That being said, if the Tsuba is papered, then the altered nakago-ana might make the papers appear/become invalid, because the photo no longer perfectly matches the item. < Question for the more experienced: would this be a correct assumption?

Cheers,
-Sam

23 hours ago, GeorgeLuucas said:

I think if you have a trained and professional crafstman do the work, then altering a nakago-ana is OK...

That being said, if the Tsuba is papered, then the altered nakago-ana might make the papers appear/become invalid, because the photo no longer perfectly matches the item. < Question for the more experienced: would this be a correct assumption?

Cheers,
-Sam

Mostly curious if the nakago-ana needs to be enlarged.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Avidmark said:

Was that for antique nihonto, or iaito?

The 200,000 yen was for a 50 year old Yasuaski katana.

I had a pair of Yamato Daijo Masanori daisho that I customized a little more (nice saya lacquer, tsumami tsukamaki, metal kojiri, kogai slot for the waki) that was maybe 20% more expensive.