Suppose there is a prime museum venue in Europe available and nihonto exhibit is being arranged for.

15 TJ are already secured plus multiple Juyo.

Would one be interested in attending? Attending or hosting additional events like clubs meetings, chats with polishers and other craftsmen?

Would one consider providing a sword (Juyo+) to be exhibited?

Would one be interested in a.... shinsa? The museum considers a one-off event with a team where each member has an impressive biography.

What do you think about the endeavour?

• Like 7
  • Love 2

These events in theory are always worthwhile but very difficult to pull off organisationally, so I always admire and am grateful to the organisers.
The Japan Art Expo in Utrecht has proven it but it is difficult to make people attend and travel the distance, let alone bring swords. If one has to fly and transport their swords, people get cautious. If one drives to the destination with their items, it might be easier.

• Like 2

I hope that info of this exhibition would come something like 6 months advance to make it possible to prepare attending it. How long would the exhibition be open for public? I would be very interested in attending.

The amount of high quality items sounds very high. However I would even be happy with more basic arrangement of various interesting items.

Shinsa could be a fun addon. I think it might be difficult to pull it off though. I remember we had discussions how many swords for example NTHK requires as a minimum amount.

I'm a novice collector but count me in. I'm honing my preferences for the big purchase and the more higher end pieces I see in person the easier it will be make that informed acquisition. I've spent 2 hours with three Juyo token swords last week and will hopefully see a few more in Utrecht next month. A venue in Northern Europe is ideal for me. 

3 hours ago, Jussi Ekholm said:

I hope that info of this exhibition would come something like 6 months advance to make it possible to prepare attending it. How long would the exhibition be open for public? I would be very interested in attending.

The amount of high quality items sounds very high. However I would even be happy with more basic arrangement of various interesting items.

Shinsa could be a fun addon. I think it might be difficult to pull it off though. I remember we had discussions how many swords for example NTHK requires as a minimum amount.

Jussi, we ran the maths on a possible shinsa in Europe or UK in the recent couple of years. Having to subsidise business class travel and hotel costs for the shinsa panel meant we needed to gather hundreds of swords to make it happen. In the end, we could not make it work (as those who could afford or had the volumes for multiple submissions already have their swords papered….)