Katana maintenance kit recommendation

Hello Katana Experts.

Can you recommend a good quality Katana maintenance kit source ?

The Gunto i received from my late father could benefit from the routine that is shown in this video.

Some of the reviews of various kits indicate that some offerings are less than desirable, thus my question.

Thanks

dwp

Grey, thanks for your reply and tip!

Took a quick look at your website and i can see you are deeply immersed in the sword thing-- neat.

Some questions if you don't mind:

1. Can you tell me what is the powder the guy uses in the embedded video in my posting?
  2. What specific oil is best to use?
  3. Would some sort of solvent (if any) be good to use on the blade to remove any contamination from acids or such from people touching the blade w/ ungloved hands, before re-oiling?
  4. Any other tips or recommended things to do for care and maintenance?
  5. I think from now on i will only handle the sword w/ gloved hands, either cotton or nitrile- good practice?

fyi, i have attached 3 pics of the Gunto.

Thanks,

dwp

DSC07632-cropped.jpg

DSC07633-cropped.jpg

DSC07634-cropped.jpg

Grey gives great advice. You only really need a microfiber cloth and appropriate oil.
I just use a clean cloth used for eyeglasses, and light machine oil (I dont like the smell of choji oil).

The powder is called "Uchiko", and it can potentially be harmful to your blade, and also your lungs. 
https://web.archive....-considered-harmful/
Here is a web article - you'll have to scroll down a little - that explains the potential harms of using Uchiko. 

Here is a high quality cleaning kit. BUT as has been mentioned, the Uchiko may be unnecessary and potentially harmful. This kit also includes choji oil, and some paper to wipe the blade.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204652887233?

Go slow and be careful. The sword survived this long, and will survive while you study a bit too. 
Best of luck,

-Sam

• Thanks 1

I didn't mean to be rude. Grey and Bruce's advice is better, I just recommend the kit for first timers because it comes with mekugi nuki and the box for storage of future oils :glee:

Thanks to all for quick and helpful input!

think i'll skip the Uchiko, seems too fraught with potential complications.

How Does 3 in 1 oil and a eye glass cleaning cloth seem to you experts?

thanks much,

dwp 

I can’t speak to 3 and 1 oil. Hopefully someone more experienced will address that option. 

Here’s one I’ve used:

https://www.amazon.com/Yoshihiro-Japanese-Maintenance-Complimentary-Sabitori/dp/B00AZ6SYSY?

Singer sewing machine oil is often recommended too. Choji oil, Or pure clear and unscented mineral oil

Best of luck,

-Sam

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dwp said:

How Does 3 in 1 oil

Dennis:

I wouldn't use a detergent oil or one designed to "open" pores (e.g., 3-n-1 or WD40). I use food grade mineral oil. Sword oil is 98% mineral oil and 2% choji (clove) for scent. Sewing machine oil is fine as well. In addition, some internet folks use olive or canola oils. Stay away from these as they are fatty oils and will eventually go rancid.  

John C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

100% Tsubaki Oil is a good choice and is easily acquired on Amazon. Note that some of the listings for Tsubaki Oil on Amazon come with something called a "rust eraser." Under no circumstances should you use this on a sword blade.

• Like 1