Spending a week in Berlin; any place I should consider going?

jesup

When you want to visit the Samurai Art Museum make sure that you have enough time.

If you want to see everything not in a hurry you will need one day , minimum! 

Especially in the Kodogu secttion, on the upper floor , you can see very good quality and it is worth for a closer look.

Also the Tensho Koshirae (Juyo ! ) In the Kodogu section is worth to study.

• Like 4

I have my ticket... I'll take photos if they let me.  Thanks!!!!  turns out it's only 12 by car, 25-30 by public transport from my hotel.   I should get a good 3.5 hours there (this is the only day I'll have free)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jesup said:

I have my ticket... I'll take photos if they let me.  Thanks!!!!  turns out it's only 12 by car, 25-30 by public transport from my hotel.   I should get a good 3.5 hours there (this is the only day I'll have free)

Randell

Make sure you spend some quality time with the armours. While Peter Janssen does have several very good / excellent swords, I would say the forte of the museum is armour and related accessories. There are 5-6 daimyo armours which are outstanding. You will know which ones :)  as the light goes off automatically there to preserve the silk/colours. Also, the Maeda and Myochin uchidashi ones towards the middle of the museum are great, the small tea house diorama, etc etc. 

Not sure which swords will be exhibited, but look out for the various Rai, the excellent Ichimonji, etc swords.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Gakusee said:

Not sure which swords will be exhibited, but look out for the various Rai, the excellent Ichimonji, etc swords.

From memory, there are two Tokubetsu Juyo, the Rai Kunimitsu and the Shodai Nobukuni in the permanent exhibition. The father Niji Kunitoshi can be seen next to the son Kunimitsu. His other son (or pupil) Ryokai is also on display. There is also a Unji and a Ko-Ichimonji. Among the Shinto blades, I can think of Shodai Tadayoshi, Shodai Yukihiro and Nidai Masahiro. The Shinshinto representative is Koyama Munetsugu.

I won't be able to say more until Friday, when I'll be discussing a blade with the museum team. But on the other hand, just let yourself be surprised! And as Micheal S already wrote, the museum focuses on outstanding armor and helmets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I spent and afternoon there, with a coworker (giving him a tour and explanation of all the things he was seeing).  We had a great time; what a collection!  In some ways better (and better presented) than the exhibits at the Met in NYC.  Very nice Munetsugu, and of course the Rai blades.   I noted the Masamune; on a bottom shelf even.  The dates, though (1333-1392), imply a different Masamune (or gimei).  It's signed,  mekugi-ana (one square).  Wild temper, though.  Also a nice Gassan Sadatsugu from the coronation of Emporer Taisho, later presented to someone in Europe in the 1920's.  Very fancy koshirae too.

The armor was extensive and great.   Including Date Masamune's armor.   I noticed also the Child's Day armor and tachi -- I have a child's-day tachi that I'd say is better than what they have.   But mine is very good; in general this is a truly impressive collection - and impressive presentation!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jesup said:

I   I noted the Masamune; on a bottom shelf even.  The dates, though (1333-1392), imply a different Masamune (or gimei).  It's signed,  mekugi-ana (one square).  Wild temper, though. 

The Sayagaki describes it as a "Kuroda masamune". It is probably an Odawara Soshu blade from the late Muromachi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the awesome pictures Randell! I have not yet visited the new museum building in Berlin but your photos were so high quality it felt like visiting there.

I would agree with Thomas that the Masamune is not by "the" Masamune but later Muromachi sword. There is (was) actually a meibutsu tantō called Kuroda Masamune: https://meitou.info/index.php/黒田正宗 but I believe it's current location is not known perhaps for few hundreds of years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1