The sale of Cooper’s collection by Philips in Australia

Hi!

Any views regarding the Cooper Collection sale. I thought it was some nice tosogu up for grabs. I got only two lot’s but was happy anyway. I was overbid on many. Got lot 317, liked it a lot. I took a huge chance on lot 335. They had two identical pictures, quite blurred, by misstake, nothing from the back. Described as signed but as with all lots no description of the mei. I have no clue so it will be fun to see what it is…..I hope!🤣

Someone else getting something?

Regards,

Anthony

• Like 5

Hi Anthony , I also purchased a few items at the auction and am really pleased with them . I don't think that there has ever been a bigger or better auction of fittings in this country . I understand that the vendor lived in London at one time and purchased items from Sotheby's and probably other auction houses in the 70's . I have a few Sothebys catalogues from this era and a lot of the pieces auctioned last night  are in them. Lot 317 is in one of the Sotheby's catalogues and it gives the maker of your piece as Umetada Chikashige . The seal on the back is his according to Shosankenshu . The other interesting information is that according to the catalogue this piece was in the Seymour Trower collection . My quick look at the Trower sale catalogue didn't pick it up but with a little more time I hope that you do.

Ian Brooks

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ian!

Thanks for the info! Great to get a name to the tsuba. I hope you got some nice items. I agree, there was plenty of eye candy at the auction. Lot 8, 61, 68 and 336 was also items I liked. Maybe not the most expensive or rare of all the lots but they stirred my heart. 😁

Anthony

• Like 1

I was interested in 20 items but the strong bidding dampened my hopes for most of them as the estimates were way off when the serious bidding started about 10 minutes before auction closing times.

Bought the two kozuka bare blades, item 77 and ended up with two kogai as I don't have any, items 121 and 123. Final buy was a normal kozuka and a small kozuka, item 140. Would appreciate any comments on these kozuka. 

I found the Philips auction staff to be very helpful.

• Love 1

Description

Edo period (1603-1868)
Both with Shibuichi Nanako (fish roe ground) with shakudo and gold, one depicting a scrolling dragon clasping a flaming pearl, among cloud, and one small depicting chrysanthemums.
Condition Report: Some slight wear to raised areas.

Philips kozuka Lot 140.jpg

• Like 3

Some of the fittings in my opinion sold at pretty good prices, dare I say even good deals(I converted the AUD to USD, and was like wow that's a pretty good price lol). Especially if you compare them to the recent Bonhams Auction last month. The only lot I wanted from the Bonhams auction sold for $83k :wow: