Opinion about Usa Kunimune.hira zukuri sword

Doubt about Mei. According to my research this particular Mei is different from I found. It’s contains two symbols instead of four on Nakago.

Papers, is unfortunately not a panacea…

Alex -

There was likely more than one smith using the Kunimune name so the two-character signature is not that much of a concern - you have papers that should reassure you.

-t

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mormo said:

It’s contains two symbols instead of four on Nakago.

The origami mentions the smith as Kunimune; Muromachi period, Uda (probably the school name). It's most likely legit.

John C.

• Like 1

Dear Alex.

Is it the fact that there are only two kanji on the nakago that is bothering you?  As John has said, the NBTHK paper states that it is a katana with the mei of Kunimune and then in brackets they ascribe it to Uda, which means that the sword carries the two kanji for Kunimune and that they have attributed it to the Uda school.  Does that help?

All the best.

It is quite rare to have so long hira-zukuri katana. NBTHK states in brackets that it is (Uda school - late Muromachi). I am actually not sure what the 2nd paper is, to me it seems to be NTHK paper but it is unlike other NTHK papers I have seen. Is it possibly the very low rank NTHK Shinteisho? I have never seen those in person so I cannot say for sure. The NTHK paper also gives Bunmei (1469 - 1487) as an era.

I think it is interesting item but unfortunately condition might have issues.

• Like 2