Hi and thanks 

do the members have any thoughts on whether flaws in the nakago can constitute a fatal flaw ? I have a sword with a short crack in the mune of the nakago that does not cross from side to side near the hamachi ( only on one side ) of the nakago in a koto tachi. It is obviously a flaw but would it or any other crack constitute a fatal flaw in the nakago ?

thank you for any thoughts ?

francis 

Hello

Obviously the sword will never be used in battle or for cutting but if it were, would you want to rely on it with a crack in that position?

Swords are known for breaking at that point.

That's my thought.

• Like 1

I would love to see some photos! 

I once met a guy at a show who had a recently broken off Nakago on his table.

I asked if he had a story behind it; and he told me that he used the sword for iaido practice, and at one point during a swing it snapped clean at the Nakago. He said there was no visible flaw until it had snapped, where he could see an internal crack within the break. Luckily nobody was hurt.

(This story relying on my memory, so if that person is on this forum, and this sounds familiar, i'd love to hear it again! :laughing:)

I can't tell you if your specific flaw is fatal - but it's in an area where a lot of stress is focused. 

All the best,
-Sam

• Thanks 1

That's interesting Sam.

Know of all the Katana that are now waks due to breaks but pretty sure that's the first time i have ever read of a definitive break at that point in a blade that actually happened to someone.

Darcy once described it as a fulcrum point.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi Francis, sure someone will chime in with regards how stringent Shinsa is on such a crack

As its in the mune and on the nakago then maybe you might get away with it, but i don't know.

You would always have to disclose the flaw with regards selling in the future.

In that case, is it a blade worth sending to Shinsa?

3 hours ago, Alex A said:

Hi Francis, sure someone will chime in with regards how stringent Shinsa is on such a crack

As its in the mune and on the nakago then maybe you might get away with it, but i don't know.

You would always have to disclose the flaw with regards selling in the future.

In that case, is it a blade worth sending to Shinsa?

One would definitely mention it when selling it for sure. It’s a good old blade otherwise but I need it seen by the NBTHK as it is signed by a potentially important smith  so I guess I’ll take the chance on it being rejected 

3 hours ago, Brian said:

Sounds like a ware, not a crack. Only on one side? I wouldn't worry too much.

Hi Brian thanks yes it’s not the full width of the nakago probably a ware. The nakago is ubu and not machi okuri so probably original to production 

The older or more rare the sword the more lenient they may be.  You need to posts good high resolution closeups, which are in focus.  It is difficult to give an opinion on a verbal description only. Seeing photos will give people here something to base an opinion on and while not a guarantee, it may help you in your decision to send it or not.

Additionally, I would point out that it is difficult to say what a shinsa team will decide. It could pass this time, and fail next time.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Ed said:

The older or more rare the sword the more lenient they may be.  You need to posts good high resolution closeups, which are in focus.  It is difficult to give an opinion on a verbal description only. Seeing photos will give people here something to base an opinion on and while not a guarantee, it may help you in your decision to send it or not.

Additionally, I would point out that it is difficult to say what a shinsa team will decide. It could pass this time, and fail next time.

Ok thank you I will try get some good pics 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1