It arrived!

Avidmark

My first Nihonto. It’s nothing special but I’m proud to be its custodian. 
I purchased it from Aoi Art in Japan. 

Im just a baby in the world of Nihonto and thought I’d jump in and buy early in my journey to learn from a blade in hand. 
Open to comments and opinions. 

czrQdeF.jpeg
UhvgHmn.jpeg
wCXj2oO.jpeg
owVdBZF_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

• Like 12
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1

Not shabby at all for your first piece, enjoy!!!! If it does not have koshaire , you could start on a next project and get a set put together. I am newer here too, my suggestion is to get a few books and start reading. It will save you headaches and lost money down the road. 

1 hour ago, cluckdaddy76 said:

Not shabby at all for your first piece, enjoy!!!! If it does not have koshaire , you could start on a next project and get a set put together. I am newer here too, my suggestion is to get a few books and start reading. It will save you headaches and lost money down the road. 

Been buying a bunch! And reading a bunch. Koshirae is what I was originally thinking but didn’t realize how big of a project it will be. Maybe in the future though. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Congratulations! Looks like a lovely blade. 

Apparently the 2nd generation Nobuyoshi, according to Tsuruta San at Aoi Art, later changed his title (affiliation?) from 藤原 Fujiwara to 源 Minamoto.

Yes I read that in the initial description. Do you know if it was common for smiths to change names? And for what reason?

1 hour ago, Avidmark said:

Do you know if it was common for smiths to change names?

Mark:

Is your blade read as shinano no kami? If so, I believe that is 1st gen Nobuyoshi. Smiths would change mei when an honorific title was bestowed upon them.

John C.

Congratulations on acquiring your first nihonto.  A far more imposing piece than my first one that is certain! Well done. As has been mentioned, if you haven't already done so, then start acquiring a good library, this is essential, and imensely rewarding.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John C said:

Mark:

Is your blade read as shinano no kami? If so, I believe that is 1st gen Nobuyoshi. Smiths would change mei when an honorific title was bestowed upon them.

John C.

Documentation from Aoi Art states “Shinano Kami Fujiwara Nobuyoshi (2nd generation).” However I can’t translate the signature on the Nakago yet. At some point I’ll give a go at learning that but may need to get assistance. Documentation also states “his real name is Takai Kinsaburou, and later changed his mei to Minamoto”. 

4 hours ago, The Blacksmith said:

Congratulations on acquiring your first nihonto.  A far more imposing piece than my first one that is certain! Well done. As has been mentioned, if you haven't already done so, then start acquiring a good library, this is essential, and imensely rewarding.:thumbsup:

Thank you! I’ve been heavily investing in beginner books. 

from Markus book:

NOBUYOSHI (信吉), 2 nd gen., Enpō (延宝, 1673-1681), Yamashiro – “Shinano no Kami Fujiwara Nobuyoshi” (信濃守藤原信吉), “Rakuyō Shinano no Kami Minamoto Nobuyoshi” (洛陽信濃守源信吉), according to a theory it was the 2nd gen. who bore the real name Takai Kinzaburō (高井金三郎), he lived in Kyōto´s Aburanokōji (油小路), we know blades from the Enpō to the Genroku era (元禄, 1688-1704) and he also worked in Ōsaka, chūjō-saku

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cisco-san said:

from Markus book:

NOBUYOSHI (信吉), 2 nd gen., Enpō (延宝, 1673-1681), Yamashiro – “Shinano no Kami Fujiwara Nobuyoshi” (信濃守藤原信吉), “Rakuyō Shinano no Kami Minamoto Nobuyoshi” (洛陽信濃守源信吉), according to a theory it was the 2nd gen. who bore the real name Takai Kinzaburō (高井金三郎), he lived in Kyōto´s Aburanokōji (油小路), we know blades from the Enpō to the Genroku era (元禄, 1688-1704) and he also worked in Ōsaka, chūjō-saku

Thanks for the info. What book is this from?

A book that cannot be recommended highly enough...........

550x739.jpg.24bbd0b57360032805ee047478ffde85.jpg

Unfortunately, no photographs, but a superb book nevertheless!

Another book that I would recommend, and one that does have many beautiful photo illustrations is......

1b97f47696c2a9e69e629c534e4667bc.thumb.jpg.0430f79a42471eacec84e1f8901c19ae.jpg

It is a stunning book and extremely well explained. Not blades that we are likely to be able to acquire, but extremely informative.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Avidmark said:

Thanks for the info. What book is this from?

Mark:

For a reference, the page I posted for you is from that book. The last paragraph on that page is the one you and others highlighted. Take a look at the paragraph just prior listed as Nobuyoshi 1st gen. This may give you additional information.

John C.

p.s. I also own a 2nd gen papered Nobuyoshi and have an extensive file of research. if there is something specific you are looking for, let me know. 

2 hours ago, John C said:

Mark:

For a reference, the page I posted for you is from that book. The last paragraph on that page is the one you and others highlighted. Take a look at the paragraph just prior listed as Nobuyoshi 1st gen. This may give you additional information.

John C.

p.s. I also own a 2nd gen papered Nobuyoshi and have an extensive file of research. if there is something specific you are looking for, let me know. 

You’ve been very helpful, thank you. I’ll keep that in mind. 

6 hours ago, The Blacksmith said:

A book that cannot be recommended highly enough...........

550x739.jpg.24bbd0b57360032805ee047478ffde85.jpg

Unfortunately, no photographs, but a superb book nevertheless!

Another book that I would recommend, and one that does have many beautiful photo illustrations is......

1b97f47696c2a9e69e629c534e4667bc.thumb.jpg.0430f79a42471eacec84e1f8901c19ae.jpg

It is a stunning book and extremely well explained. Not blades that we are likely to be able to acquire, but extremely informative.

I’m 3/4 through “Connoisseurs”, finished “The Japanese sword a comprehensive guide”, “The Samurai Sword”, and have been considering Cutting Edge. I’ll have to find a copy based on your recommendation. 

On 3/25/2024 at 9:39 PM, Avidmark said:

I’m 3/4 through “Connoisseurs”, finished “The Japanese sword a comprehensive guide”, “The Samurai Sword”, and have been considering Cutting Edge. I’ll have to find a copy based on your recommendation. 

cutting edge is a great book and can now be picked up in soft back for little money…not sure if it’s as good picture wise as the hard back editions ?

36 minutes ago, Jon said:

cutting edge is a great book and can now be picked up in soft back for little money…not sure if it’s as good picture wise as the hard back editions ?

Just ordered it online!