Latest acquisition

dimitri

Here is my latest Tsuba, purchased at the Poitiers arms exchange.

Muromachi period, a very large tsuba, this is what I was looking for for the assembly of my Hizen katana.

I would like to have your different enlightened opinions.

Thank you. 

Dimitri

received_1087294932538458.jpeg

received_7907016935993265.jpeg

received_956615689800405.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Any idea what the sekigane is made of? Unusual colour match to the rest of the plate, copper with verdigris? Or just a trick of the light? The overall shape and the two sukashi reminds me of Kaneie style [ not sure he did spiderwebs (?)] :dunno:

kaneiye my new fix.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

The sekigane is indeed this color, I will look at it without altering the color to find out if it is a patina or what material it is.

The tsuba is Muromachi, the work is exceptional as if the tsuba had been thicker and to work on the spider web it had been worked, sculpted.

Thanks Dale for your questions.

• Like 1

Dale, it's copper for the sekigane, it's just patinated. Jesse, the seller told me late Muromachi, for him not sure about Momoyama, he is a seller from Nihonto, he is also a polisher.

I don't think he's wrong, when I showed the tsuba to another exhibitor, he didn't contradict the period when he had it in his hands either.

There is a detail that allows you to contradict the period, I am open to all explanations.

Dimitri 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dimitri said:

Dale, it's copper for the sekigane, it's just patinated. Jesse, the seller told me late Muromachi, for him not sure about Momoyama, he is a seller from Nihonto, he is also a polisher.

I don't think he's wrong, when I showed the tsuba to another exhibitor, he didn't contradict the period when he had it in his hands either.

There is a detail that allows you to contradict the period, I am open to all explanations.

Dimitri 

Hi Dimitri.  No reason to contradict from me.  Was looking for kantei that pointed to the era is all :)

Jesse no worries, no kantei, I don't have many pieces with a certificate, only 2 unfortunately. Who I buy from have pieces that sometimes come from families who collected swords, tsuba long before all that, France is teeming with treasures a bit like the USA with the Shin Gunto for example but not only that. Afterwards I think I will send a message to Hizen who was in the depths of the French countryside and who I am in the process of having restored in shirasaya and koshirae.

Thanks anyway, I like interacting with forum members, it’s always interesting.;-)

• 2 weeks later...

First, thank you kindly for sharing; it is a neat tsuba.

Whereas I am not an expert commentator, just a student of early iron tsuba, my opinion is that this is not muromachi and likely early to mid Edo. 

My reasoning is design, geometry, and overall aesthetic. Just an opinion 

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Winchester, Indeed since my post, I have focused on the tsuba Kaneie and there are similarities for early Edo, I am trying to see why I was told Muromachi, after I fell in love with the tsuba which is the main thing, but having everyone's opinions is very important for me and I'm learning for the future.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

According to the person who sold me the tsuba, there would be an estimate of the date between 1550 and 1650 so it could be early Edo which would be more accurate according to certain comments.

On 3/9/2024 at 3:24 PM, dimitri said:

Muromachi period, a very large tsuba, this is what I was looking for for the assembly of my Hizen katana.

I would like to have your different enlightened opinions.

It looks like a nice iron tsuba with an appealing design. A nice addition to any Japanese sword in your collection thanks for sharing. I would estimate the age ranging from mid to late Edo Period circa the 18th to mid 19th Century. From my own experience and study, it is likely an unsigned work of the prolific Shōami Ryū-ha (正阿弥流派) school after they had branched out from Kyōto (京都) into the different provinces after the Muromachi and Azuchi-Momoyama Periods. I have seen similar signed examples made by artist of Aizu Shōami Ryū-ha (会津正阿弥流派).         

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Thank you David for this opinion, a very interesting opinion, I like to have several opinions, very enriching.

The tsuba is incredible when you look at it, this spider web comes out with finesse, I fell in love straight away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Soshin excuse me, but I'm researching what you said and I saw a tsuba with similar characteristics.

I would like to have your opinion? the Tsuba of the Saotome school? could this also match?

Maybe I'm wrong but there are some that have engraved lines and shaped holes.

thanks in advance

14 hours ago, dimitri said:

I would like to have your opinion? the Tsuba of the Saotome school? could this also match?

Maybe, but not likely as the Saotome School was not known for their soft metal inlay work. Post a photo of the tsuba and everyone can discuss it or just send me a photo of it via PM for a more focused private opinion.  

• Like 1