Test tsuba auction

kissakai

Good luck Grev! I tested the waters here in Perth Australia (where most people have never heard of a Tsuba). It was this January just gone. A super basic iron guard with a bit of copper ten zogan reached $100 aud, which is about three dollars in your currency, so I think you will do well with your examples. Buyers fees are 16.5% at this auction house.... 30% is insane!

20220312_151918.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I put in ten tsuba for auction and sold two for £220

After fees I received £91 for the two tsuba!

Then for the buyer there was their commission to pay

A guess is 1/3 to me and 2/3 to the auction house and VAT

I guess I'd better find another way of selling

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

• 2 weeks later...

My remaining tsuba are in tomorrows auction (03/04/24). Lots 86 to 93

Auction search | Sworders

I have these listed with NO reserve so there must be bargains there. I lost a lot with the previous sale I've chucked in the towel with possibly a bigger loss

Good luck if you do make a bid

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

Fingers crossed for you Grev. I feel your pain. For what it’s worth, every now and then I have a clear out of “stuff” (always painful) and with the proceeds I buy just one good thing that will give me pleasure. That does sweeten the pill a bit. Good luck.

• Like 1

I would have liked it but already in France you have to calculate everything, the sales costs then the shipping costs, for France there are sums that go beyond understanding on the shipping costs, I can't imagine in Great Britain with customs and more.

Too bad because there were some beautiful ones. To give you an idea, I bought a Soten tsuba, 270 euros at auction excluding taxes, after fees 341€. Shipping costs €44. Total €385 but for me still below what I could have had if bought from a professional.

received_1833595917061868.jpeg

• Like 2

I have just seen the result of the sale, indeed they went very low, as if at the beginning no one wanted them and suddenly seeing no reserve, the auctioneer had lowered the price until someone take.

Sorry for you.

After their second auction I totted up the total received

It was about half the price I paid for them but it was a learning exercise

I'll try Bonhams next to see if any sell at a better price

I'd be in interested in using someone like Mr Doffin as as another avenue to explore

I've told my kids to sell my collection after I'm gone but need to to tell them the options

Any other ideas?

The tsuba range from £100 to £1500 but the swords are a few thousands

1 hour ago, kissakai said:

I'll try Bonhams next to see if any sell at a better price

Grev, by all means have a word with Bonhams but they mercilessly driven by their bottom line and are not easy to do a deal with on their vendors commission. I suspect they would want to lump your tsuba together into a few multiple lots and would probably also insist on very low estimates to ensure it all gets sold. Plus they haven’t got much of a clue about the finer points of tsuba or swords unless you tell them what things are…..and they’ll possibly ignore that anyway.

You could have a word with Thomas del Mar (ex Sothebys arms and armour expert) who runs Olympia Auctions. I’ve used them….he is a really nice guy and I found their service excellent. (Tempting fate saying that!) He may be keener to offer your pieces than Bonhams and he may let you do accurate descriptions…..and maybe thus ease his vendors commission a bit.

Why not offer them here on the forum? You could specify UK sales only if you wanted to and make the prices more attractive knowing that there is no vendors or buyers fees that would ordinarily reduce your net by about 40% plus you are in total control of the whole process….and maybe get paid a lot quicker.

Just some things to kick around…

Best. Colin 

• Like 3