Somen identification and preservation

Anthony R

Any information on this 3 piece Somen would be appreciated. It is not signed.  Is the expression Ryubu man?  He looks more like he saw a ghost. It does pass metal test and has rust spot and bubbling up on the nose piece and inside forehead and nosepiece. Can I use a drop or two of sewing machine oil? Will this harm the black coating? Is it better to just keep as is and not do anything to preserve. 

Thanks,

Anthony R. 

IMG_1878.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_1891.JPG

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG

• Confused 1

Hi Anthony,

I would also call it ryūbu!

The bubbling is a problem, but sewing machine oil (resin and acid free) shouldn’t harm the lacquer as long it’s real urushi. 
What is this discoloration on the ear?

Hi Uwe, 

I just got a Q-tip and the white stuff came off? Under a jewelry loop there is some yellow and tan mixed in. Kind of looks like ear wax. Funny right! There is no discoloration under it. The black spots look like urushi dots. I did some digging. Would this be Edo period bottom and the top eyes added in Meiji period? Both sections are hinged with pins the can be removed. Or was this made at one time as a somen from the beginning? I don't know. Should I post to JAS Forum. I know somens more niche them mempo. 

The problem with somen is that they were quite popular and sought after amongst collectors at a certain time. Hence many “fakes” and modified menpō are around the market. That said doesn’t mean yours is a forgery. Maybe late, hard to tell. More detailed pictures will be needed to get a feeling. 
We have some very knowledgeable guys on the JAS forum, might be indeed a good idea to post it there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uwe said:

Problém některých je, že byly v určité době mezi sběrateli docela oblíbené a vyhledávané. Proto je na trhu mnoho „padělků“ a upravených menpō. To neznamená, že ten váš je padělek. Možná pozdě, těžko říct. K získání pocitu budou potřeba podrobnější obrázky. 
Na fóru JAS máme několik velmi znalých lidí, možná by bylo dobré to tam zveřejnit!

I hope this is not taken as an attack. but this is a very low level in everything. I recently saw it for sale somewhere (invaluable I guess), I wouldn't even think of bidding on it. The shape is ugly, ugly workmanship, ugly varnish, the expression, the top is added later, the age.......etc

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, Yes it is ugly. Kind of ghastly. The yadome are not symmetrical , hence the poor craftsmanship of the hoate and the jaw is really stout and crude.  The eyes, nose and hinge work have a little more skill and require a little more finesse.  It weights a little over 1.5 Lbs. It's definitely heavy face armor. Artistic expression was not the intention. Seems more utilitarian in nature. 

Thanks

AR.