Is this a keeper?

Avidmark

24 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I use dark mode because of my eyes. 

When someone copy and paste

And doesn't click post as plain text I get a black post. Sorry I take away from your post

Screenshot_20240128_141801_Chrome.jpg

Oh I see. lol, I half interpreted that as a different way of saying it’s a black flag or something. 

Aoi’s response:

“We checked the part you inquired about.
We guess the two "streaks" are the rust. It will be clear by polishing more.“

I don’t know. I have no experience but I’ve been heavily examining and cross referencing the pictures and they just look like scratches to me. All the areas in question are completely straight. 

On 1/25/2024 at 8:25 PM, Bugyotsuji said:

Mark, you remind me of the guy who said, "Hey, I'm just going to try one shot of this heroin stuff, just the one!"

My reply would be, "What is so great about this particular heroin that it will satisfy you forever?"

To be honest I’m not sure what’s so special about it. I’ve been looking at a lot of blades, and for some reason I keep coming back to this one. Can’t explain it. 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Avidmark said:

To be honest I’m not sure what’s so special about it. I’ve been looking at a lot of blades, and for some reason I keep coming back to this one. Can’t explain it. 

Well, they do say that swords find their owners. :)

For me, the dark marks in the hamon (highlighted on the previous page) are scuff marks - "hike kizu" from the saya (as was said above) and I don't think that they are anything to worry about. Wood changes shape with temperature and humidity variations and a saya that was a perfect fit when made can grow a little too tight if insufficient space was left to take account of such seasonal variations.

Let us know if you go for it!

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 2:36 PM, Avidmark said:

Oh I see. lol, I half interpreted that as a different way of saying it’s a black flag or something. 

Aoi’s response:

“We checked the part you inquired about.

I don’t know. I have no experience but I’ve been heavily examining and cross referencing the pictures and they just look like scratches to me. All the areas in question are completely straight. 

Just noticed you came back with the same black out lol heavyy sigh 

On 1/28/2024 at 8:36 PM, Avidmark said:

That answer from the seller would make me very cautious. Why is he “guessing”?

The seller should give you an accurate answer as he has the sword in his hands. Such an ambiguous evasive answer would not encourage me to buy it.

• Like 1

So I’ve decided to go for it and placed the order. I’m thinking the odd wording used in the last email (“guessing”) is just a translation issue. 
Just made payment a few days ago and they are working on the permits for export out of Japan. They mentioned the sword will be lightly polished during that time to help with the two areas in question. 
It’s not a masterpiece, and especially at that introductory price range but as other members have stated it has a number of positives and I feel this blade is a good place to start learning. No clubs or shows around where I live so I need a blade in hand to study. 
Will update this post with pictures when she arrives. 
Thank you everyone for your help and insight. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2024 at 3:25 AM, Avidmark said:

Ha! That’s a good one. I’ve said the same about watches. However I’ve only got space for one blade to display (as per my wife). 

Yes I had that agreement with my wife..over that last two years we have negotiated to 6 blades..2 katana, 2 wakizashi and Two Tanto………

I think it's great that you've pulled the trigger, given that this is the blade that was calling to you.  Far better a blade like that than a highly papered blade which feels blah to you.  This is significantly about aesthetics, after all :-)

Robert S