Tsuba school opinion requested

Gunome

Sebastien…..can’t help re school but beautiful tsuba. I saw the cuckoo quickly but took a minute to spot the moon. Lovely interpretation of that subject. Interesting that the raised design encroaches onto the seppadai. Did it need a modified seppa? It has obviously been mounted. 
love it

Colin

The tree does echo Hamano treatment of that sort of subject, and the 'misty' nunome is very Tanaka/Toryusai, as it the mimi shape, perhaps even a little late Umetada in there too ( the ones with the plum blossom stamp). On the overall balance I'd lean Tanaka/Toryusai myself. Increasing I feel that if there's no mei it's not 'of a school' at all but merely 'in the style of' or 'showing the influence of'.

A similar example here, attributed Tanaka Toryusai by the NBTHK.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Thank you Ford for the mentioning!

yes indeed this would be Toryusai and it is quite a nice piece! Typical for toryusai school Tsuba it has this flat Nanban style Kin Zogan. It is said that Tanaka Kiyotoshi the founder of the school was the son of a Nanban Tsuba artist which is why he used this technique a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/26/2023 at 2:49 PM, Matsunoki said:

Interesting that the raised design encroaches onto the seppadai. Did it need a modified seppa? It has obviously been mounted. 
love it

Colin

The circled gold inlay seems to be pressed flat by the seppa, I think  it is indeed a little higher but the tree is on the same level. I tried to show with my lazy smartphone skills how i think it looks in the crosssection. 

Edit: it is very lazy and the drawings are not very accurate especially the lower red line where the right side of the groove should be more like 90degrees :laughing:

465D7BA8-F9A7-402E-9CF5-8BD58E7188DE.jpeg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..