So....number stamped on habaki indicates a fake?

Not that I had any great expectations of this Tachi (I saw a year ago in a Devon Junk/salvage shop. A year later I made a cheeky offer and bought it, thinking in my ignorance it may be a Kai Gunto! I am Iaidoka, but with little knowledge of katana etc. apart from 'naming of parts' for grading examinations! But it looks nice on the rack along with my Shinken, Iaito and bokuto.  (All probably Longquan products.)

I'd be interested to know any thoughts after you have stopped laughing!:)

Same is genuine, (I performed the 'hot needle' test; no melting) Ito wrap. Ito and menuki rather pathetic. Blade either Damascus or acid-etched with no Hamon. Nakugo has '24' painted thereon, (as does saya, under the kogai), and inscribed as seen.

As said, I had no expectations, but would be most grateful if some of the experts here may have some idea of age and origin.

tachi in garden.jpg

nakago engraved.jpg

habaki.jpg

20231002_162203.jpg

Have a quick read of our Fake Swords Gallery.  You'll find most of the "tells" we see on this sword - Damascus steel, purple same', large number stamped on habaki.  There were some China railway swords that had stamped numbers on the habaki, but they were all 1 - 3 digit numbers.  The fakes like larger numbers, in general.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..