Katana Takada auction house find

French nihonto

Hello community. 
I buy most of my blades with these papers from well-known dealers. But sometimes I wander around the auctions of small auction houses. Thinking that sometimes a treasure might be hidden there. Most of these blades are tired or not very interesting. I bought this one based on a bad photo, but sometimes risks pay off and I took the risk of buying it. Once I received it I was pleasantly surprised. The blade has a Mei "Bungo Takada-ju Fujiwara Hiroyuki-saku" from memory never heard of this blacksmith. Any thoughts? The Koshirae is Edo period and of high quality. The blade is clean and well polished. Nagasa 69,2cm. 
Reflections? 
Max

IMG_1557.thumb.jpeg.ecbce06ca0e439714cd834a62b8aa3e3.jpegIMG_1556.thumb.jpeg.c2a12ebd52b8ead1f9dbf08867c29337.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

One hit..

Markus have him on page 82, Lexikon der japanischen Schwertschmiede A-M

Hiroyuki, Kan`ei 1624-1644, Bungo -„ Bungo -ju Fujiwara Hiroyuki“, Hoshu Takada-ju Fujiwara Hiroyuki, Fujiwara-Takada Schule

Best

PS that costs you a BIG beer and quarterpounder

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, BIG said:

One hit..

Markus have him on page 82, Lexikon der japanischen Schwertschmiede A-M

Hiroyuki, Kan`ei 1624-1644, Bungo -„ Bungo -ju Fujiwara Hiroyuki“, Hoshu Takada-ju Fujiwara Hiroyuki, Fujiwara-Takada Schule

Best

PS that costs you a BIG beer and quarterpounder

I'll buy you a case of beer, Peter.:laughing:
Mei sound good?  Although a gimei from such an obscure blacksmith is unlikely. 
I didn't pay much so it might be a good hit. 

Dear Maxime.

Ubu Shinto katana, signed, fully restored and in koshirae, you did well.  I would have no qualms about the mei on this one. If the tsuba is a problem you can always find another at your leisure.  I can't help feeling that after someone has cared for this sword so well there is probably a paper somewhere for it.

From your hints I am very sure that I do not want to know how much you had to pay for it!:)

All the best.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Geraint said:

I can't help feeling that after someone has cared for this sword so well there is probably a paper somewhere for it.

From your hints I am very sure that I do not want to know how much you had to pay for it!:)

Yes, I also think that a paper was lost. And I'm very curious to know what paper she had. :)

I'm lucky I didn't pay much. Hence my surprise the first time I had it in my hands. 

I tried looking the smith in Bungo book, unfortunately no oshigata for the smith and just 1 very short line of info on him, period etc. same that Markus has on his index.

I would think it as genuine as the signature style & nakago to me would seem plausible compared to other Fujiwara Takada smiths around this period. Looking at the pictures it seems like you got a good sword there even though the maker is quite unknown. :)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Jussi Ekholm said:

I tried looking the smith in Bungo book, unfortunately no oshigata for the smith and just 1 very short line of info on him, period etc. same that Markus has on his index

Yes, I haven't found much on this blacksmith. Very very obscure blacksmith. Good candidate for shinsa, no? 

I think one downside of shinsa is the cost in sending from Europe to Japan & back. Of course it would be nice to have the item & signature verified but I am not sure if it will be financially positive outcome. I haven't sent anything to shinsa so I am not best in giving advice but of course it would be great to have verification for the item.

• Like 2

Il y a 1 heure, Jussi Ekholm a dit :

Peut-être contacter@paul tsubadotinfoen ce qui concerne l'envoi à shinsa, ce serait une bonne chose. Paul connaît très bien ces choses et pourrait donner ses conseils.

Very good to know. It may also help some European contacts I have. Thanks a lot! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..