Yanagawa school tsuba

brentlewiis

Hello friends,

I acquired a tsuba a while back and am interested in what others might think.  I believe the mei is that of Yanagawa Naoharu.  The examples of that school/artist’s work that I’ve seen have mostly been in soft metals with amazingly fine nanako.  This one seemed atypical in having a plain iron ground.

IMG_2132.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

You should take the time to get photos that are in focus when you want help. Additionally orienting them correctly would be a courtesy.

You tsuba is signed Yanagawa Naoharu. The legitimacy of the mei is questionable.

The research I’ve done indicates that the mei compares favorably with those found on known good examples.  I didn’t see any of the usual indicators of gimei.  
I bought it for a pittance, because I liked it and thought it had merit.  Not because I necessarily believed it to be Yanagawa school work.  Is the school of such standing that applying a false signature would result in a return on investment greater than the effort required to effect the deception?  

Hi,

I did a quick check on Haynes, and there was only one yanagawa guy that signed this way, so I think its this one:

yanagawa_naoharu.thumb.jpg.d412438ec51373b1bbefa6372ba28091.jpg

your mei pic is kind of blurry, but it doesn't look particularly close to the reference ones to me - but That observation is probably worth what you paid for it - you can compare it to the piece in hand and see what you think.

There are several mid-late Edo kinko that seemed to attract Really Good forgers - an example of this would be (ichinomiya) Nagatsune.  There are a tremendous number of pieces that his gimei on them, and a lot of those mei are really really close to "known good" ones.  I have no idea if it was a financial/fraud thing or if it was one of those objects every important family "had" to have an example of, but...

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..