Replacing a Tsuba

Hello all,

I have a wakisashi that I really like the koshirae. I was curious about the ethical implications of replacing the Tsuba? Also, is it a simple task of matching motohaba and kissane measurements, and maybe adding or removing a seppa? 

I'm thinking of replacing this fukurin tsuba thats worse-for-ware, and finding a Shakudo Kiri-mon Tsuba to match the fuchi and kashira. I know that might not be an easy thing to find, but it would be fun project to be on the lookout. 

Is this something that's way over my head; that I should forget about, and leave for an expert? Is it a taboo to change a part of the koshirae?

Thanks for reading! 
-Sam

tsuka1.jpg

tsuka2.jpg

tsulka3.jpg

ttt.jpg

1111.jpg

I think the previous owners decided to keep the original and add that just so it would have a tsuba. 

Hope you find that just right one.

I have gone through many until I found the one "just right" I call it my Goldilocks. 😉

• Like 4

If it was a papered koshirae that was believed to be originally configured a certain way, then yes, it might be a collector’s / historical faux pas.  But in this case, who knows who put it on when?  Good luck with the hunt.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

What??? Find a Tsuba which you like, matches, or whatever and have a craftsmen fit it to your sword.  

I did not even consider this as a possibility. That’s a good idea too. Thank you!

It will be a fun thing to hunt for. I’ll be at the SF Nihonto show in August, maybe I’ll find one there 

Thanks again everyone, as always y’all are a big help. 

Cheers,

-Sam  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I still haven’t found the perfect tsuba in my budget, but I found one that’s a much better place-holder, in my opinion.

Obviously not perfect, but it fits much better, and I like the size of it more. I like how the negative space easily allows you to see the fuchi from more angles 

97EF4880-58DA-4E89-A86F-2A9C08772E82.jpeg

459BD297-0EEC-48A3-9E17-5EA7006DB107.jpeg

E81EE9AC-BC30-44D3-99AC-31438DCBE29E.jpeg

14FC4054-90F9-4BF9-9525-BC81EEDFE8F9.jpeg

7C9B8C1C-5575-40B3-A3F2-58DB5004FCC7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

Just seen this. 

Saya is not kosher to my eye IMHO I'd have John T make you a proper one.

The ashi looks like it's from a NCO.

Tsuba as you say works for now.

Thank you Stephen!  

The saya definitely needs some work. I find it strange that the hanger implies the blade being worn blade-down on such a short sword. 

I’ve let this blade intrigue me enough to send it to a Togishi. It’s in the mail now

Ill let you know what the togishi says. I am cautiously hoping that it’s worth a restoration and I can experience bringing a sword back to life. If not, it will live in my collection and be admired for what it is

here’s a link to my other post with more blade photos 

cheers,

-Sam 

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Like I alluded to I don't believe the Saya is original to sword.

Oops, my misunderstanding,
You are probably right!

I am looking forward to hearing what the Togishi has to say about it. Even if it's nothing special, it's been a helpful and interesting study tool for newbie like me

1 hour ago, GeorgeLuucas said:

Oops, my misunderstanding,
You are probably right!

I am looking forward to hearing what the Togishi has to say about it. Even if it's nothing special, it's been a helpful and interesting study tool for newbie like me

What ever it turns out to be your saving a bit of history. 

The most important part of our hobby.

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

PS It doesn't have to be a important masterpiece..

I agree, I just hope it’s not too pitted, or tired

Whatever the togishi can tell me about it will be a big learning experience for me too. He helped me years ago with my inherited sword, and I’m still grateful for that 

As always, I appreciate your input! I’ll let you know how it goes, and hoping for the best,

-Sam

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..