Helmet Split?

rematron

They've used automatic translation of the Kanji 割, coming up primarily as a noun.

In context here as an adjective though, it should be 'kabuto-splitter', i.e. for splitting open a kabuto and/or skull.

PS Also known in Japanese as a 鉢割 Hachi-wari, which can mean (kabuto/helmet) bowl or skull or crown splitter.

• Like 3

Thank you, Piers. :)

Now I’m trying to imagine the context in which someone would be carrying one of these around… Doesn’t seem useful on a battlefield.  A little something for self defense for someone who didn’t want to (or wasn’t allowed to) carry around a blade?

Hello all!

Well, this is interesting!  Never been on “this side” of the forum before!  Don’t know what led me here, but I am going to “go with it”!

Now, many of you are saying “oh no, not again!”, but here it goes.

Long story short (and this time I am not going to list my references – too much work!). But it seems that these jitte, hachiwari, and kabutowari (some of them-not all of them) were made from cast iron!

They were used primarily during the Edo period.

Now, we know that cast iron will shatter when hit against steel or a really hard object.  But these “truncheon” type weapons were evidently used by those during the Edo period that were not allowed to carry swords.

So, when hit against a head, arm, or leg they were probably very effective.  Now I know from personal experience that a cast iron skillet in the hands of an angry wife can be very effective (not really-just kidding!).  But you get my point on the effectiveness of a cast iron weapon.

I don’t know if this is “off topic”, but it is “food for thought” about cast iron being made and used as a weapon during the Edo period!  I never thought of that before (and thank you Bugyotsuji for naming those weapons so I could look them up!).

The adventure continues!

With respect,

Dan

On 4/25/2023 at 12:53 PM, rematron said:

A little something for self defense for someone who didn’t want to (or wasn’t allowed to) carry around a blade?

Unless it's a thing made for tourists, it reminds me of tessen (iron fan). Just have it in the obi, not looking like a weapon, but ready to smash someone on the head, maybe?

At any rate, I am not sure if the term kabuto wari fits the object.

• Like 3

Arnaud, you may be right. It does have the profile of a tanto, and a lanyard hole for a tassel, so it kind of fits the part, but it might have been very (too) heavy to carry around in the obi. Possibly it also had another use.

As it stands though, the term 鈍器 'donki' might be more appropriate. The police in Japan will often say for example that a victim was hit over the head with a 'donki' (blunt weapon).

• Like 1

So, here is a thread frome 2018 that refers to some cast iron truncheons of the Edo period-

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/25702-the-tekkan-or-tekken-can-be-considered-as-nihonto/

The last post on that thread states that they could be made from cast iron.

Just some interesting stuff.  These truncheon type weapons are not difficult to find on the internet.  And many sites selling these as made in the Edo period state that they were made from cast iron (wheter that is true or not cannot be determined).

With respect,

Dan

I had always thought the Hachiwara type objects with a hook near the base were parrying weapons popular in early Edo. I had read Musashi's Father was adept at using the sword in one hand and the Hachiwara in the other to parry a sword strike. It was suggested that Musashi had thrown his Wakizashi with his left hand at times because he had been taught to use the Hachiwara by his Father.

The iron Tessen type weapons were for use during the Edo period as a non lethal alternative. The result of a non approved fight was death for both participants so if there was violence better a broken bone than a sword cut.   

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..