Sword identification

Bridges

49 minutes ago, Brian said:

Don't see much there that would be desirable even if it's legit. Too much low quality in the fittings. Unless it's in the low hundreds, best to pass.

This is the listing, you’ll quickly see why I was interested in discovering the legitimacy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304718528387?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ptgbxlycsxk&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=5b5Igx0HQ7e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Noah:

Just my humble opinion, however after reviewing the documents on the auction I think there are too many questions. Family histories tend to get embellished over time. As the others have said, the sword is not one a Japanese soldier would have normally carried. It's too crude and the fittings are after market (possibly newer). In addition, it seems like it might be a wakizashi. Again, that would be unusual. Also, in the picture of the purported owner of the sword, he is not wearing a sword! 

Interesting collection of objects, however if the sword is what interests you I would take the story with a grain of salt.

John C.

I also think the sword/koshirae is legit but as above....low quality.  Looks like a Wakizashi.

Do the rest of the pics etc really relate to the same soldier???  I would be asking the seller for more info as to where/who it came from.  I wish I read Japanese because I would love to know what every word said so I could add it all up in the context of the sale. 

As an aside...I do not like what appears to be gratuitous  Ebay advertising using the newspaper display of Aust. Sgt Len Siffleet's execution.  Whilst it may be an original paper (or not?), it clearly does not fit in the box, would not have been taken from ' the dead officer' and the seller makes no mention of it in his Ebay spiel.  May be more to the story or the seller also sells used cars.

At the end of the day, as Bruce says...if the package appeals to you, then do it.  Nothing wrong with that but don't pay too much.  I have a real soft spot for the historical side and to me provenance is a big consideration in collecting and enjoyment.

Rob

10 hours ago, robinalexander said:

I also think the sword/koshirae is legit but as above....low quality.  Looks like a Wakizashi.

Do the rest of the pics etc really relate to the same soldier???  I would be asking the seller for more info as to where/who it came from.  I wish I read Japanese because I would love to know what every word said so I could add it all up in the context of the sale. 

As an aside...I do not like what appears to be gratuitous  Ebay advertising using the newspaper display of Aust. Sgt Len Siffleet's execution.  Whilst it may be an original paper (or not?), it clearly does not fit in the box, would not have been taken from ' the dead officer' and the seller makes no mention of it in his Ebay spiel.  Either more to the story or the seller also sells used cars.

At the end of the day, as Bruce says...if the package appeals to you, then do it.  Nothing wrong with that but don't pay too much.  I have a real soft spot for the historical side and to me provenance is a big consideration in collecting and enjoyment.

Rob

I had it translated and apparently it has to do with the rejection of the Emperors surrender and it was an encouragement to keep fighting on behalf of a general at the Atsugi air base. Essentially a coup pamphlet which is honestly more interesting than the sword lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..