Naginata signed Ietsugu

Pippo

Morning gents, 

Blade is signed Ietsugu but last owner is saying he was of nagato province and blades around c1660. i cant find any details so any help with smith would be appreciated ( found a similar blade dated mid edo so 1730s).

20220811_074421.jpg

20220811_074617.jpg

20220811_074624.jpg

I am a not an expert so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I have two signed Ietsugu katanas; one is by the father first of that name who was active in 1469-1487. Hawley rating of 20.  His son was active in 1487-1489, rating of 30. None of the signatures I have which are papered or the ones I found online look like your example; just my observation.

Hello, compare the work to that of Kaga Letsugu

Just an observation but the nakago dont look real old, there was a Letsugu working in 1865.

Its difficult just using the images

Maybe some clear images of the blade and nakago-jiri may help folk come up with something.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..