Patina?

Samuraijack

Hello Alex,

Welcome to the forum! 

I have been collecting now for about 4 years.  Because of the “high cost” of some tsuba, I am limited to collecting lower priced pieces that “show their age” and are sometimes rusted and worn.  That does not detract from the experience of collecting tsuba and gaining knowledge of tsuba history, craftsmanship, the different artisans, and legends that are displayed on some tsuba.

It is an “addicting” hobby.  Have fun and enjoy!

With respect,

Dan

• Like 2

I would recommend you to find a theme of interest, you may begin with average tsubas and someday afford yourself a masterpiece that will be the must have of your collection.

I am only collecting tsuba having a link with maritime theme, whatever is the condition they still has their place in the collection and I enjoy each of them. You can find an infinity of themes to begin with !

• Like 1

Hi Alex and welcome to the ride!

I would agree with Dan and Alban for the most part - mainly because you have to start somewhere you feel comfortable with. Spending big money on things you are only just learning about can get you into lots of trouble. 

You might liken it to choosing a dog [bit of a stretch I know]. You can go out and buy a pedigree show dog or pick up a mongrel from the street, you can get the same companionship from both, one you can 'show off' one you can play rough with. :laughing:

Personally I like the road trip, you might start off with 'road kill', but every once in a while you find a bag of jewels that fell off a truck from when the kids cleaned out granddad's shed! See this thread- 

• Like 1

Alex.

Every collector will have a different reason to be drawn to tsuba and other Nihonto. For me I think it is the wonder that we can hold such history in our hands at all. Every piece has a story to tell - it may not always be glorious, some are downright dishonest others are beyond the imagination of mortals.

I like Alban's theme method of collecting, in a way that was how I started - I was 'drawn' to ten-zogan [dot inlay] but I seem to have strayed far and wide into different areas as time went on. Currently more into Kawari-gata -[odd shapes] the odder the better!

You will have lots of fun finding what works for you. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Good morning Alex, I went to tsuba as educational process to Japanese swords.

I have been collecting worldwide naval swords for years but before buying Japanese ones, as they are very specific, I waited to know it better before buying my first Kai Guntos (now just waiting for 2 of these to be delivered next month !).

625459848_20200710(2).thumb.jpg.268e0e63546a9e1e9beedb7b79bee4af.jpg

Meanwhile, I went to tsuba as a logical introduction to Japanese swords, with the same theme. Totally fits to my collection, and that was easy to begin with average examples, finding interesting ones thanks to Dale precious advice ! Now I would say this will continue as a parallel collection as they are an infinity of tsuba we can find

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..